I thought this pic was very sweet. Little Clare looking at the name "Clare" just in front of her.
Thursday, September 27, 2007
Remembering Mom
We had a lovely get-together with a few of my mom's friends. Mostly we just sat and visited. A few have moved to other areas in SD so it was fun for everyone to catch up. I served cinnamon rolls and juice and water. I asked on friend to bring fruit and another to bring a jello salad-type thing. The fruit was really the only thing that got eaten. I think maybe 1 cinnamon roll was gone. I had forgotten that everyone is on a diet so next time I will plan food that everyone can eat -- probably just plain fruits and veggies. We had a lovely time. One friend brought over some flowers for me to set out on display and then take to the cemetary at a later time. I took the kids with me to the cemetary last weekend. I explained to Calvin that a cemetary is where we bury the dead people. He said, "Mom, are there any bones there . . .like dinosaur bones?" I thought it was such a cute question. I realized I did a teriible job explaining a cemetary to him. He also asked "Is it going to be gross?" I assured him the bodies were far under the ground and in safe boxes! Calvin actually really enjoyed the cemetary. We wandered all around and he wanted to know the name on every headstone. He did ask at one point where his was and I told him he wasn't dead (yet) so he doesn't have a headstone. We did find another Calvin there but there was a different last name and he was interested in seeing that. Next time we go to the cemetary I think I need to focus more on teaching Calvin that all those headstones represent people in heaven rather than talking about the people underneath the headstone since that is really the important part. Below are a few pictures. I don't have a picture of all the friends becuase I didn't have my camera out that day. Hopefully, I'll get one from those who did bring cameras and be able to post it later.

I thought this pic was very sweet. Little Clare looking at the name "Clare" just in front of her.
I thought this pic was very sweet. Little Clare looking at the name "Clare" just in front of her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
How neat that you named Clare after your mom and her grandma--I didn't know that. What a wonderful legacy!
That would be hard to teach them about the headstones. I'm glad you got to have your mom's friends come and celebrate her birthday with you, can't wait to see some pics (maybe).
Sounds like a wonderful party. I love the picture of Clare at the cemetery.
My kids love cemeteries, probably because we go every year at least once.
You can tell Calvin that some of Grandma Joyce and Grandpa Cal's friends already have stones at the cemetery and they're not dead yet.
I'm glad the party was nice and I love that you named Clare after your mom. So special.
Post a Comment