Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Reading the Bible

Calvin attends a Christian Preschool that is associated with the Christian Church where the preschool takes place. As such, they learn Christian virtues and have Christ centered themes such as "Jesus loves you" and things like that. As a gift when the kids first started school they sent a bible home for each family so that the families would know what the kids are reading at school (as far as the BIBLE is concerned) and also so that families could study the Bible with the kids at home. Calvin's class reads one bible story a week. I am glad I have a copy of Calvin's little bible so that I can see what they will be reading and we can discuss it at home. I am also interested in seeing how accurate the translation is. Every time I read a story in the little bible I go to my King James Bible to compare stories and I have found the kids' version to be accurate for the most part. I have also found that I am learning a lot from studying the Bible (King James) and paying close attention to all the details. The kids bible is illustrated with silly cartoons and has simple sentences. It is kind of funny to see. The kids seem to like it. Someone asked what the publisher/name of the book was so I'm including a picture below. And one of the stories. (I'm not necessarily trying to endorse this little Bible, I'm just sharing what Calvin's school is like and showing you the funny illustrations on the book.)

I am glad Calvin is going to a Christian school where he can learn good things like loving each other, loving Jesus, saying prayer before snack time, and celebrate Easter and Christmas, etc. Public schools have gone way overboard (in my opinion) in trying to cut out anything that is not 100% politacaly correct, or at least they have in this area. When I was growing up we did Christmas, Hanukkah and learned all about those things and now it is forbidden to mention anything having to do with religion.









4 comments:

lisa h. said...

that's great they get some spiritual schooling as well, especially when everyone isn't of the same faith...it's interesting to see how other people teach things or how their beliefs differ. evan's is at a church too, but i don't think they do much religion.

Krystal Trapnell said...

I loved the Baptist preschool Damon was at last year. They did "chapel" every Monday, which was basically sitting and learning a bible story. I didn't have a problem with what they were teaching him, either.

Like you, I'm glad he got exposed to a different way of doing things. I think it will help him be less judgmental of other religions in the future (at least I hope so).

Anonymous said...

We may disagree with doctrine from other churches, but at this age, I have found that they are not teaching those doctrines and I think the more people telling Grace that Jesus loves her, the better because she isn't going to get that starting public school.

Anonymous said...

This is why we're avoiding public school. I loved BYU where we could discuss religion along with every other subject. We thought, why not do that starting now with our boys?