I have been cooking today for . . .ummmm... 3 hours already and I'm still not done with all the cookies. These are a cookie that a raisin lover will die over and everyone else will think is gross. I am making them for the Mom's party in a few days. They freeze perfecty so they are great to do ahead of time. Here's the recipe for those of you who love raisins or know someone who does love them! They are a lot of work and make a big mess.
Clare helped me in the kitchen for a while this morning. I told her we were making cookies. She was very excited to come help. Before I even finished creaming the butter she was saying "ahhhh .... cookie" (meaning "I want a bite of cookie"). She tasted the dough at every stage and thought it was great everytime.
Old-Fashioned Raisin Filled Cookies
½ cup butter
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
2 ¼ cup flour
2 t baking powder
½ t salt
2 T milk
½ t vanilla
Cream butter. Add sugar and egg, and beat until fluffy. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Add vanilla. Prepare raisin filling
Roll dough out to ¼ inch thick. Cut with cookie cutter about 3 inches in diameter. Add 1 teaspoon to center and fold over and press edges together with fingers or a fork. Prick the top with fork. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until just done.
Raisin filling
2 cups chopped raisins
½ cup sugar
½ cup water
1 t lemon juice
Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook on low heat until thick, stirring constantly. Cool.
Quick note from denise: Today I doubled the recipe and I ended up with lots of extra raisin filling ( I always do). So, next time I'm going to try doubling the dough part and just increasing the raisin filling by 1/2. I think it'd be perfect.
About the color change on the blog. The dark blue was getting too dark. I'm not sure I love what I have now (and didn't even plan on making it scarlet and grey) so bear with me as I make some changes. I love looking at all the blogs that are so beautifully done. I don't think mine will ever be great but I'd like it to be somewhat plesant to look at!
2 comments:
My mom loves raisin cookies, and so does her mom, but you know. . . no. Not for me, thank you very much. However, I can smell them as you are talking about them, and it makes me feel like I'm back at my Grandma Nielson's. So, thanks for the post.
I hope your mom's party turns out nicely. It's such a great idea.
BTW-I like the new blog colors. I actually didn't think scarlet and gray when I saw it.
Post a Comment