The funeral was very nice. The 5 Dahlquist children spoke in reverse birth order. Shauna told many stories. The two that were most memorable to me were the story of Grandpa calling little JoAnne into his room in the morning on our most recent visit because he wanted to see her and hold her. And second, she told the story of when the family was camping. The 3 biggest kids were gone and Shauna and Gary were just teenagers. They were goofing off and after several tries to get them to settle down and go to sleep Grandma said, "The next words you hear will be that of your father!" That phrase because famous.
I loved my dad's talk. He talked about Grandpas rules for road travel. Get up and on the road by 7. Stop for breakfast, go in to eat. Stop for lunch, go in to eat. Stop for dinner, go in to eat and then find someplace to sleep before dark. He talked about Grandpa holding two jobs. He talked about Grandpa working as a janitor and learning to work along side his father. He talked about Grandpas gift at easy conversation with anyone.
Where the first 4 talks were about Grandpa during his life and good memories of his past, Uncle Dave talked about the present Grandpa ... where he was and what he was experiencing now. Grandpa's Dad died when he was only 3 months old so he never really knew him and Dave talked about the phrase "The next words you hear will be that of your Father" in terms of the fact that Grandpa CAl would now be hearing the words of his father. Words he had never heard in this life. He shared the tender scene of the Grandchildren who have already passed away would be there to meet Grandpa. Dave's talk was very good.
Kristiana played a beautiful cello song and many family members sang How Great Thou Art, which was grandpas request.
After the cemetery was the burial in Bountiful cemetery. Uncle Allen did a nice job with that prayer.
We left directly from the cemetery to start our drive home. It was about 2pm (UT time). We arrived home at 1am (CA time) which made it exactly 12 hours. Pete was a champ and drove home with me.
Grandpa Cal had a car collection. Grandma let each of the great-grandchildren take a car. My kids each picked a small blue car.
Here is lexey in front of the collection.
At the funeral service there was a small table with a few pictures in the hallway.
Dad watched little Jo for a bit so that I could show the other kids around and make sure they didn't get into too much trouble. This picture is Grandma Joyce with my Dad and Jo.
At the cemetery I wanted to take some pictures of the beautiful flowers but the kids were being crazy. I told them we could do one silly picture and then one serious picture. This is the silly picture.
This is the serious picture. Calvin was still being crazy.
Cute Clare bear and Grandma Joyce.
This was my favorite flower piece. It says GRANDPA CAL.
Grandsons and grandson-in-laws are pall bearers
The spread on top of the casket was beautiful. Grandma wanted to keep the ribbons. Each ribbon said something different. They said, "DAD" "GRANDPA" "HUSBAND" "GREAT-GRANDPA"
Grandma let anyone who wanted one take a rose from the spread on the casket. The girls each took a red rose.
Me and my dad and brothers.
This was the last picture (that I can think of) of just the 5 of us. We have other pictures which include all of the other family members. I'm pretty sure it was taken in 1999, just after mom died.
2 comments:
I'm stealing some pictures. What a special time for your family to be together and support each other. So sorry I missed it!
I loved Grandpa Cal. He was and is the nicest man. I remember when he had surgery on his knee and I went to visit him and Grandma Joyce in the hospital. They are just the cutest couple. I wish Lance could have come to help celebrate his life. Thanks for the pictures.
Post a Comment