The main things I have tried to do are:
1. MORE VEGGIES. lb for lb these are the best foods! Nothing really compares nutrition wise with these foods. They are also so yummy.
2. MORE FRUIT.
3. less processed food.
4. Replace most things we eat w/ fruit and veggies. --including snacks for the kids. I don't buy crackers and snack foods anymore. I pack a bag bread, fruit and a knife( sounds weird, I know) so that I can bring healthy snacks to the playgrounds and other outings we're on. I have actually found that feeding the kids healthy food out of the house is easy this way b/c they are always so hungry when they play and they don't' want to take the time to argue b/c the are having fun and also if I only have good food w/ me there is really no choice but to eat it or go hungry.
5. reduce meat. we are not strict vegetarians...we just thought that replacing meat with veggies gives more nutrients and less calories and is more delicious. We haven't cooked w/ meat at home for almost this entire year. We still eat meat other places and enjoy it here and there...it is just not a staple in our home!
6. reduce salt. Dave is for sure a major cheerleader for this one. He told me a while ago when I said I thought I wanted to change our diet, "okay, but make sure when you do, you get rid of salt." One of the first things to go was cream of .... soup recipes and other things that have added salt!
7. good grains. I have never been one to buy white bread but I have tried to get other refined grains out of the diet. Our family is BIG on pasta but will not eat whole wheat pasta so we've been slow to get rid of pasta, but when we do eat it, it has lots of veggies. They will do soba noodles.
8. vitamix. I got a vitamix this year. I have wanted one a long time but never dared spend so much $ on a blender, but it has been great. It is a good way to load up on fruits and veggies. A staple smoothie: 1 orange, 1 banana, 1 cup berries, 1 TB flax, 1 handful of spinach. It is amazing. so fresh and so good. Dave has started to make real treats in there with malt powder, sugar and stuff like that which is fun also, but not really good.
9. less dairy. Dairy is fine. I'm not a milk hater or anything. I just think water is best to drink. Milk is not a necessary staple for life. Calcium is found in many other foods.
10. ice cream. I decided that if I am going to eat something unhealthy, I AM GOING TO LOVE IT!!! I learned that many of the meals I were eating were not really that great for me. I was happy to give them up for healthier and better meals, and then I save my extra calories for ice cream and other goodies. :)
Results: Dave lost 30 lbs this year. I never would have thought he had that much to lose, but I guess he had picked up a lot of extra weight eating hospital cafeteria food. I lost about 5 lbs...the rest of my baby weight. It feels good.
The truth: My kids are super tough. Each of them has a few healthier things they'll eat but overall they are not really on board. I need to work on getting them fed and also having a better family meal time. It is still a weakness of mine to be totally organized and ready for dinner so we can all sit down together.
Must Read: Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. This was the best food book I have ever read. BY FAR. It was the book where I finally realized that in order to eat all the good foods I wanted I had to give up some of the not as good foods to fit them all in. I remember reading other books and thinking "man, there is not enough meals in the day to get in the fruits, nuts, veggies, etc. that should be in a day...how do I do it." Fuhrman's book finally helped me figure it out.
$: I can't say we have really dramatically increased our food bill. Buying lots of fruit and veggies can be expensive but snack foods for lots of little kids is also expensive.
This is my favorite meal...one we eat a lot. Veggie tacos.
These veggies are also great hot over a salad with guacamole as the dressing. That is dave's favorite meal.
Another variation on the taco w/ layers of beans and veggies and spinach.
4 comments:
So impressive. We've been trying to be better too... but Pete will wants me to get more of your recipes:) Way to stick with this.
wow! I AM IMPRESSED! Those are beautiful pictures of your meals, by the way... made my mouth water!
Woop! Glad you posted about this, Denise. It was awesome to sit down and talk about the great things you're doing for your family. Hang in their with your kids. You're headed in the right direction. It just takes time with older kids, I think.
Wow, I'm very impressed, too! We are taking small steps in that direction, too, but haven't made any drastic changes yet. Slow, baby steps (whole grains, more fruits and veggies, etc). Thanks for the motivation!
Post a Comment