Tuesday, April 1, 2008

wake up time

*Today was a day of sleeping in -- can you believe it? First Dave's alarm didn't go off (or he forgot to set it, or he set it wrong...) and he slept an hour past when he wanted to get up. Not a great way to start a new rotation but I'm sure it was okay. Then, Calvin didn't get up 'til 6:30.(much improved when he woke up at 4 yesterday) Amazing! He was up in the night for a few minutes with a little issue but then went back to bed. Lexie woke up at 7:30 and Clare 8:30. It is nice to get a slow start to the day.

*This afternoon we go in for a check up for Alexey. I hate having to take a newborn into the dr. office which is filled with sick kids. A week ago when the dr. came to see us in the hospital he said, "influenza is still pretty bad, our office is filled with influenza and other respiratory infections so keep the baby out of the main stream for 6 weeks or so. And, we need to see her in the office this week." I probably would skip it completely except that calvin needs to get his ears looked at today so I'll just bring them both in for a quick visit. It my first adventure out of the house with Alexey. So far I've been content to be home and haven't gotten cabin fever at all.

* Whenever I nurse, Clare says "what yexie doing? Hungry? Eating? Belly button?" I always just answer yep, rather than try to explain that it's not actually the belly button.

*The kids have been entertaining themselves yesterday and today by being monkeys. (Halloween costumes). They'll get dressed as monkeys and then go play. Usually they come back naked and then we try to get dressed in real clothes.

*3 more months of intern year for us. It has gone by fast, don't you think? For some of you, 3 months 'til you start residency and by the way congrats on all the people who matched on the 20th. It was fun to hear about where everyone is going. What a fun time!

*Dave got summoned for jury duty. The surgery department wrote a letter to try to excuse him from going but he hopes they reject it and he gets to be on jury duty. He says it would be pretty interesting and to him anything is better than general surgery (his rotation this month).

*the first day home from the hospital the kids were trying to climb into the pack-n-play with lexie so I asked dave to go chase them out of her way. He did get them out of our room and then locked the door so that they couldn't get back in. It was a good idea except there is no key. Most of the doors in the house open pretty easily if you just stick a straight hanger of something else long and straight into the door. Not the case for this door. I was not very impressed with my brilliant neurosurgeon husband at that moment. (we did get the door open within a few minutes and all is well). Dave was really hoping this story wouldn’t end up on the blog.

And, a few pictures. It's hard to capture the sweetness of a newborn on a camera (especially my camera), but here are a few pictuers since you're all too far away to come hold Alexey.


We love Clare's old OSUMC hat. It is the only one that fits just right.

7 comments:

I am Laura said...

I feel bad about your sleeping in time. My normal waking time is 8:00 so to sleep in would be 9 or 10. You poor thing.

Johnson Fam said...

I too hate taking my newborn into the doctors office as I just cringe hearing the coughs and seeing the sickness around. Hope your venture out was successful. Love and miss you!

lisa h. said...

hurray for calvin! has he done it again? i hope the appt went fine with alexey.

Melissa said...

I got summoned for Jury Duty as well.. with at date of April 29th, and I am due May 5th! Well, my dr. wrote me a note to mail back to them, and before it even got back to them, I got another card in the mail saying my jury duty had been reschedule to October! I am hoping I can get out of that one as well...

Glad you got that door open as well... :)

theSwensenFamily said...

Denise! Congratulations on your little girl! I must have been oblivious to everyone else who was pregnant at the same time as me! I was so excited to see that you had had another beautiful girl! Love, LOVE the name Lexie! It's actually on our list if I dare have another since there is a possibility I could have twins again. Your little family is growing! You are all just beautiful! Good luck with those three cuties and those sleepless nights. I'm with you!

Chris and Reba said...

The Baby Whisperer has a technique for helping kids/babies who wake up around the same time every day and your post about Calvin sleeping in because he was up in the night reminded me of it.

The theory is that your body gets used to waking up at the same time whether or not you're rested, so in order to change a waking time, you disrupt the sleeper in the middle of routine sleep and then they sleep through the habitual waking. This worked really well for us on vacations when our kids were likely to wake up for the day at 6 o'clock Ohio time when we were in Utah (or worse) here in Washington.

So, what you do is gently rouse the child about an hour before they are scheduled to habitually wake. Some kids need something as in depth as a diaper change, but for Ellie it was enough to pick up and hug her upper body and then lay her back down. I thought for sure it would just mess up her sleep, especially when she would shudder or jump when I initially lifted her.

BUT--it seemed to really help. I'd say I did it pretty consistently for about two weeks before forgetting and having her sleep to her new normal waking time.

The baby whisperer suggests setting an alarm to wake you up to rouse your child, but since you're up with cute little Lexie anyway, you might sneak in and hug Calvin around 3:30 or 4 in the morning and see what happens.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, but I hope it might help with your early rising. :)

J* said...

I've always wanted to be on jury duty. Not with kids...but it would be interesting.
Can she get any cuter, Denise? Love her little face.
~Jessica