Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bathroom privacy (or the lack therof)


A while ago a friend posted about the excitement of finally having her own bathroom. It made me think "hmmmm, I have my own bathroom. Why can I still not use it without interruption?"

Here is a little quote from Bill Cosby's book Fatherhood (a fun read for any parent), "...I presume that you have still decided to have a child instead of a hamster. A hamster, however, would give you more privacy in the bathroom. Bathroom privacy is something that you and your spouse have taken for granted, the same way you have taken for granted a quiet ride in the car, a civilized dinner out, and not having to file for bankruptcy because of investments in toy stores. A new father quickly learns that his child invariably comes to the bathroom at precisely the times when he's in there, as if he needed company. The only way for this father to be certain of bathroom privacy is to shave at the gas station.

Over the years it has become quite a tricky thing to use the bathroom without an audience. Calvin, more than being just an audience in the bathroom, loves to use our bathroom for the toilet, shower, and the bath (though for this I can't blame him. We do have a nice tub)! One thing to say in Calvin's defense. He always lifts the seat to go #1 (which is more than I can say for other boys in the house. I won't name names:)

Here are a few of the little things that I have laughed at over the years of sharing a bathroom with the kids; especially Clare as she is the one who is most interested in the bathroom endeavors lately.

-Clare loves to come in while I am using the bathroom and say "good job, mommy, good job" while clapping for me!
-Clare also likes to get toilet paper and demonstrate how to "wipe my gut(butt)" which she does (thankfully) with clothes on.
-This is much preferred to Calvin at her age who wanted to help with the above mentioned chore.
-Invariably when the kids come in the bathroom they have questions about the toiletries they find there. The questions are "what are these for, mom?" "What is this?" "what is that?" The answers are always the same. It is either "none of your business" "I don't know" or "ask your dad".
-Then there are the questions about body parts which have the same questions and same answers as above.

And, speaking of questions for asking dad, today Calvin asked me "HOW did the Dr. get the baby (alexey) out?" I think I'll let Dave tackle that one.

I was speaking to a friend, whose children are now all grown and out of the house, about the fun and challenge of having little curious kids who follow you everywhere to ensure that you have no privacy. I was wondering if I would miss these kind of things when the kids are gone. She assures me that though these are wonderful times and a fun stage of life, those moments of the entire family joining you in the bathroom will not be missed.

Perhaps it is time to get a lock on my bathroom door.

8 comments:

Em said...

So funny! (I'm starting to know just what this is like).

Chris and Reba said...

I can totally relate. But I do think I will miss the clapping . . .

lisa h. said...

awesome! we installed a lock and they will just bang the door until i open it. that's funny cause you have more than 1 bathroom!

Emilee said...

Both of our girls have been "Bathroom Valets:" happy to cheer, comment, clap, fetch toilet paper, flush, and wash. They also want to use every toiletry I use, as I am using it. It's sad to read that just because I will be getting my own bathroom, I won't be getting any more privacy. Darn it!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

I love Clare giving you positive reinforcement, what a good girl! Alyssa usually says "all done" to me and tries to help me pull up my pants. Can't blame her for wanting to help I guess?!

Anna M said...

Very funny! Our bathroom doesn't lock so it feels like a constant parade.

Heather said...

great post denise. So funny.

Malinovka said...

It's so funny that you posted about this because that is what life is like in our house as well. It's always community bathroom time when anyone is in there, and all four of us can frequently be found in the bathroom at the same time. Of course, when you only have one bathroom, there isn't much you can do about it!! Sometime I'll have to remember to include in a blog entry the day when Mierae found my pantyliners and thought they were stickers--she proceeded to stick them all over her Barbie bike. Ahh, memories.