Monday, February 4, 2008

Pumpkin

When we moved into the house we inherited a pantry full of food. Most of it was thrown away becuase it had expired or it was quickly used up. We have a few cans of pumpkin left on the shelf that expire this year and I don't really know what to do with them. What do you make with canned pumpkin? If you have a favorite recipe, post it on your blog or send it my way somehow!

We tried these pumpkin muffins yesterday and they were pretty good. Calvin wouldn't let us put in the raisins but maybe we'll try them next time.

Pumpkin Muffins
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 egg
1/2 c. raisins
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottoms of 12 medium muffin cups. Mix all ingredients just until flour is moistened. Batter should be lumpy. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon sugar over batter in each cup. Bake 18-20 minutes. Immediately remove from pan.
Makes 12 muffins

3 comments:

Melissa said...

We make the traditional pumpkin pie (I think the recipe is on the back of the can) and I know you can make pumpkin cookies with chocolate chips, I just don't have the recipe.

Chris and Reba said...

Stephanie has a yummy pumpkin/cake mix concoction posted somewhere around October 2006 (I only know that because she brought me some after Moira was born).

You can make lowfat cupcakes (that are really good) by mixing a 15 oz can of pumpkin with a cake mix and then baking them according to the package directions.

Emilee said...

We have a great maple pumpkin muffin recipe, and I leave out the nuts and raisins and put in chocolate chips (like 1/4-1/2 cup, not many). With whole wheat flour, I feel like they are healthy, and because of the chocolate chips, my kids GOBBLE them down.