A while ago a friend posted about mothering and another friend posted about mothering today. As mothers, we spend a lot of time doing mundane, ordinary tasks which sometimes get tiring. But, all of these small things add up to something great -- a beautiful family and wonderful kids and home life. This quote by Joseph F. Smith (my great great grandfather) came to mind as I read the other posts about mothering so I thought I'd look it up and share it here.
"After all, to do well those things which God ordained to be the common lot of all mankind, is the truest greatness. To be a successful father or a successful mother is greater than to be a successful general or a successful statesman. One is universal and eternal greatness, the other is ephemeral ... We should never be discouraged in those daily tasks which God has ordained to be the common lot of man. Each day’s labor should be undertaken in a joyous spirit and with the thought and conviction that our happiness and eternal welfare depend upon doing well that which we ought to do, that which God has made it our duty to do. Let us not be trying to substitute an artificial life for the true one. He is truly happy who can see and appreciate the beauty with which God has adorned the commonplace things of life."
Caring for children really does make one appreciate life. Children are wonderful; so full of happiness and goodness!
6 comments:
Thanks for that. It's nice to hear positive things like that. I didn't know about the family connection with JFS! Awesome!
My kids have been trying lately for me so thanks for this.
great quote (i didn't know you were related, how cool). my mom has been exhausted visiting us...being a mom almost makes you crazy! i am starting to feel overworked as my mom points out how much you don't sit down or the kids never stop going and going and it's just a constant job with housework and errands! it would be sooooo easy to get a full time job and enjoy it being quiet all day and talking to adults and dressing sharp and going out to lunch with other co workers each day and then coming home and spending just an hour with your kids...but you would miss out on so much! right?!
That was just what I needed to read. I've been feeling overwhelmed lately with motherhood, which is something I rarely feel (I'm crazy almost all the time, but feeling overwhelmed is something different). I think remembering the importance of what we're doing here can give you just enough to make it through yet another crazy day. BTW, how have I known you this long but never knew you were JFS's great-great-grandaughter?
I love that! I'm procrastinating cleaning right at this moment! What a great thought. Becoming a full-time mother was one of the biggest adjustments of my life. To go from "productive work" to a new definition of "productive (redoing everything I just spent all of yesterday doing) was really frustrating but now, I wouldn't trade it for the world.
I just finished trying to run on the treadmill, with the boys screaming at me to set all sorts of toys up. It was making me CRAZY!!! Then I came upstairs and was reminded of the 5 baskets full of clean clothes that I have to fold. That quote was just what I needed. One day I think we will look back and wish we could have these days back. Maybe. :)
Post a Comment