7am Saturday morning: Calvin helped me set the outside table. As you can see he chose everything orange.
7:am-9"30am- every other minute: "Mom, are my friends coming yet?" "When are my friends coming?"
9:30am-10:30 Finally at 9:30 I set the timer and told him it would beep and then we could expect his friends. Then from 9:30-10:30 he sat and watched the timer, occasionally leaving to do other things.
10:30 - "beep, beep, beep" "mom, are my friends coming now?" "yep, they'll be here anytime" So, Calvin went to the front door to wait.
10:40 the first friend came and a few others rolled in within a few minutes.
10:45-11 We went outside to play a penny toss game. The kids liked it.
11- came inside to put on aprons and take a quick picture of the group (except for one kid who didn't want to be in the picture. Notice Clare is one of the gang. She had a great time at the party and just went along with all the activities. I was worried she'd be in the way and clinging to me but she was happy to just be one of the big kids.
11 - doughnut eating game (thanks lisa). It was super funny! Dave had the idea to move the dining room table and hang doughnuts from the chandelier. It worked pretty well. The kids tried first with no hands (well, some didn't want to try) and then we let them use their fingers as well. CAlvin looks very excited, doesn't he?!
Then we made mini pizzas. Most kids made both sides of their english muffin. Calvin just wanted to make one.
Clare made both sides and then put them together as a sandwich and started eating them.
After that our photographer left so we don't have many pictures (thanks jessica for taking the pictures while you were here!). We played a jello eating game -- with no hands-- and the kids loved that. Then we decorated cupcakes and sang happy birthday. I did manage to get a picture of that.
AFter singing Calvin wanted to open presents. He managed to bring them half way out the door (to the deck) and then sat down and opened them all with lots of little hands helping. I can see why some parents don't open presents at the party because it is a little crazy but the kids did each enjoy giving the gift that they brought. Calvin walked around and told everyone thank you and gave them a hug. Clare followed doing the same.
The party went 'til 12:30 and we were done with all of my activities by a little afternoon so the kids played and I pulled out some puzzles, balls and other toys. A couple times kids came to me and said "I'm bored" and I felt bad about that.
It was a fun party. calvin had fun and I think the other kids enjoyed it as well.It is a lot of work to plan and put on a party for kids. I can see why many do it at chuck e cheesse or some other fun place if they can because there is no mess in your house and you don't have to set up or clean up! Maybe next time I won't be as nervous. I had a summer birthday so I rememeber lots of swimming parties -- that was really easy! Now I'm rambling and not making any sense.
I do have a couple more little stories .. one about dave and the remote control car that I'll have to post another time.
3 comments:
oh, it looks so fun!
it is a lot of work, huh. but it's so special for them, i'm sure calvin LOVED it! i love the aprons with the kid's names on them. i might just do this party too!
What cute ideas Denise! I bet Calvin will remember this party. That is great you went to so much effort...
Looks like the party was a hit! I love the photo of Calvin sitting in front of the door waiting for his little friends--too cute.
Post a Comment