Friday, March 6, 2009

Calvin's sleeping habits

haven't changed much since I used to post them on my side bar last year. He wakes up most days between 3:30-4:30 am, at which point he goes to the bathroom and then I send him back to his room with a snack and a pile of books. Often he goes to the bathroom at 5am also. He isn't allowed out 'til 6am which I consider a reasonable time to get up for myself! Some days he goes to sleep during this time and other days he just stays awake waiting 'til 6am comes.

This week has been a particularly bad week for Calvin and me. He has been up at 3:30-4 every day and every day stayed awake singing, tearing his room to pieces, and playing loudly for the 2-3 hours 'til dawn. He has been IMPOSSIBLE to deal with. He didn't finish his homework most days (I DON'T BELIEVE IN HW FOR FULL DAY K KIDS ANYWAY), had several breakdowns in parking lots, at school and at home....has fought with Clare and me, cried over what was for dinner.... we have had a seriously bad week.

Until this morning. He got up at his usual 3:30 to go potty and then went back to sleep 'til 6:30.

I had almost forgotten what a nice boy "rested Calvin" is. He is a completely different person than "tired Calvin" and I am sorry to say that we see "tired Calvin" most often. This morning he played with Clare, ate 2 breakfasts, talked non-stop about many of his great ideas for life, walked himself to class carrying a heavy extra book (which I thought for sure I'd have to carry for him), put on his patch without complaint. I am excited for after school when we get to go see him again!

We signed Calvin up for a sleep study at the hospital. Not sure when it will be yet but after years of bad sleep for him and now that I am seeing it affect his school work and behavior I want to see if there is anything we can do for him.

Many days I think that I am just a terrible mother. Other times I think I'm crazy for thinking that my problems with Calvin have to do with sleep more than my inability to correct and teach him. But then on days like today, when he is rested and completely reasonable, I think maybe there is something more to it. Also, since I have two other kids who sleep well and act well I think that it can't be entirely my doing that Calvin is difficult. Actually Calvin is pretty remarkable. I am amazed that he can survive the day.

I hope this post doesn't sound too much like complaining. I don't mean it to be ... I just thought you might be interested in a sleep update.

10 comments:

Johnson Fam said...

I hope the sleep study helps. My sister took her 4 year old in for one and found out some problems which they are now trying to work with. So hopefully it isn't anything too serious but maybe something will be discovered so taht you can all get better sleep and be happier more often.

I am Laura said...

I'm looking forward to finding out what the study shows. I can't get Ally to get out of bed and on the days that she has preschool and I have to wake her up early she is much harder to manage. I think sleep has a lot to do with our mood and personality. You are a great mom! Never doubt that.

Scott said...

Put Dan in the same room as Calvin and have Dan make sure Calvin stays asleep. Too bad I can't be there all the time.

jhorrocks said...

I am sorry to hear Calvin still wakes up so early. Hopefully the study will find something out.

Krystal Trapnell said...

I think you're doing the right thing with the sleep study. If you can see a big difference in him when he is rested, you're probably exactly right, and doing everything right as a mom. I can't wait to hear what you find out!

Natasha said...

Glad to hear that I am not the only one who doesn't believe in homework for full-day kindergarten. I even have issues with too much in other grades but that is another story. I've been thinking a lot about what you just said about being a mom. I think we often get down on ourselves thinking we should have more self-control, more faith, more of something spiritual when what we are lacking is something physical. Sleep with Calvin. Additional hormones with me. I'm sure there are others forces at play. Maybe I'll expound on this on my blog someday. I'm sure you are a terrific mom!

Chris and Reba said...

the last thing you are is a bad mom. I don't know if my 5 year old or I would be alive if they had the kind of sleep habits Calvin does. I hope the sleep study goes well!

lisa h. said...

almost every day i think, i could do anything if i got enough sleep! it seems someone is awake during the night at some point.

i hope the sleep study goes well. how will they do it? does he have to go to the hospital?

i think i would be hard to handle too if i'd been up since 4am! and then going to school all day, thats got to be hard when you are only 6!

Laurie said...

Oh no--I think sleep makes all the difference when it comes to kids' behavior. I'm sure you're doing your best when it comes to mothering, but there's only so much you can do with a tired munchkin. I see a marked difference in my kids' behavior when they've gotten up an hour early {or gone to bed an hour late}. Take today, for example, with daylight savings time just in effect. I am currently listening to 3 simultaneous tantrums.

Shoot me now.

Melissa said...

Hopefully you will find some answers to that all. I know my kids are hard to handle when they aren't well rested too. It will be good to see what the sleep study finds for you.