The drywall dried in 4 days...the floors didn't dry at all so the insurance people are giving us new floors in most of the upstairs areas (once you pull 1/2 the floor you have to pull it all if it's continuous flooring which we have in our house)! Should be an interesting journey ... we will be under construction for the next couple of weeks but it will be lovely to have everything brand new. If only the oven got ruined too (I could really use a new oven).... hopefully things go smoothly. We've had wood in the kitchen area and I will most likely replace it with some kind of tile or stone that will not be so sensitive to water. Wood is warped by water so easily it is not a good choice for us in the laundry room and kitchen -- especially for us since the laundry room is just off the kitchen area. We'll replace the rest of the wood floor in the other upstairs areas with the same wood that has been there. Wood is softer and warmer than tile and it'll match the other areas of the house that have the wood already. Or, I might just tile the laundry room and leave kitchen wood. We'll see. What are your thoughts? Do you like your flooring? If any of you are familiar with flooring I'd love to hear your opinion about tiles of all kinds (ceramic or porcelain or stone). Tasha, what are you putting in your new house?
Hope everyone has a nice weekend and good Sunday.
8 comments:
well that is good news, even though it won't be too fun w/ the floor people coming to your house. my parents have wood in their kitchen/dining room, i guess it could be annoying cause if you spill while cooking or the kids while eating you're not really supposed to mop woodfloors. i do mop mine every so often and just move a fan from room to room to dry it real quick, and the bucket is always black when i dump it! i don't think dry mopping really gets them too clean. i think i'd lean toward tile in the kitchen?
Sorry to hear about the house troubles... it is never fun to have unexpected things happen.
We are tiling our kitchen and bathrooms.. kitchen first. We ended up buying all of our tile b/c there is a store called Laufen Tile that is going out of business. They just recently announced it 2 weeks ago and we got all of our tile for $0.99 a square foot which is a steal so we bought all we needed for all the rooms. I believe they have some stores in Cali as well. Check them out:
http://www.rocatilegroup.com/laufen/
Good luck with everything!
Melissa
p.s. your kids are adorable as ever
Put tile in the kitchen, pantry, and laundry areas. While you're at it, put tile in the upstairs bathroom. The rest of the upstairs should be wood still. Make sure it is done by the time I get there :)
My older brother is a hard surface flooring rep for Shaw so I asked him what he thought (since I know none of the logistics, just what looks pretty).
Obviously wood in a laundry room don't mix well. He said natural stone can be super duper expensive to install $6 sq/ft (vs wood, laminate or tile $1.50-$2) and the upkeep is a lot of work- sealing it every 3-12 mo. depending on room and material. There are some porcelain tiles out there that look almost exactly like Travertine, too. So that to me sounds like a great option for the laundry room and kitchen. Also, wood laminate options are way better than they used to be- Shaw did a survey with 100 people who had experience with wood and 80% actually thought the laminate was real wood. It's way easier to clean and it's better for kids and pets. Anyways, hope that helps and good luck. I'm glad the insurance company is replacing it all for you!
Sorry to hear about your troubles. It will be nice when it is done though. We had hail damage two years ago and got new siding, roof and awnings from our insurance company it took forever it seemed. But so worth the trouble. My parents have ceramic tile in their kitchen and dining rooms and like it a lot. My mother-in-law has wood in the kitchen but she waited until all her kids were grown to do that. Good luck.
I put fake wood laminant in my house. It is dark and it shows everything. I hate it. My mother in law put this nice tile stone stuff in hers and when my kids are there it always looks super clean until you sweep. Then you can see that it really was messy. If I was to do over I would put tile in my house -- the kind that looks like stone and has different colors throughout -- really helps make your house look clean.
We are putting hard wood floors in the kitchen, dining room, and halls (they started on them yesterday). The laundry and mud/locker area right off the garage will be ceramic tile - nothing fancy. Bob's mom was telling us about a great tool she just bought for her hardwood floors. It is called the Shark. She got it at Target for about $80. It doesn't use any chemicals and cleans her wood floors beautifully. She said there was a film on them before she got the Shark but now the floors look as good as new. I think I'll be investing in one of these soon. I hope all your construction goes well.
I read all of these backward and oh my gosh! I am happy for you to hear of all the new stuff and hope the chaos doesn't drive you CRAZY!!
Post a Comment