Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Which do you want first?

Good news:Calvin is super cute (he wanted me to take his picture pretending to sleep)


Bad news: we had a flood in the laundry room monday

Good news: I was at home and was able to stop it within a few minutes. If I had not been here it would have been horrible. It was like a hose running full blast.

Bad news: still some major damage to the wood floors in the kitchen, dining room, pantry and laundry room

Good news: it was a lovely day

Bad news: 6 fans and 3 dehumidifiers, (all of them heaters and all of them sound like jet engines) have taken over the kitchen, dining room, pantry and laundry room. They will be here all week.


Good news: ....hmmmm..thinking.....at least we have running water --unlike last time we had a household catastrophe which (in March).

Culprit: tear in the hose connecting the washing machine to the faucet. Apparently there is a law suit (insurance companies are suing) against the makers of this hose because it is often the cause of water damage in homes. . Our hose was rubber. It is recommended that you get mesh instead of rubber.


Word of advice - learn how to turn off the water to your house. Practice it sometime. Maybe while your spouse is in the shower if you want some real fun!! I could have saved a couple of minutes of water if I knew right where the water line was and how to turn it off. It took me a minute to find it and to get it turned off because it was pretty stiff.

8 comments:

I am Laura said...

So sorry. Good advise. I don't even know where you turn the water off. I am clueless.

Johnson Fam said...

I am so sorry to hear this! But glad you were there to stop it from being even more of a disaster than it is. I knew where the water turn off was once but have forgotten...guess I should find it again.

Also, we should always know where the gas turn off is too, just in case!

lisa h. said...

oh, y'all just have some luck. i'm so sorry that happened.

Thany said...

Oh my gosh!! What an adventure! And what good advice, I need to learn how to do that!

Wow.

PS: Calvin is so very cute. The idea of him pretending to sleep I find to be a slight paradox in a way.

Scott said...

It sounds like you've had some major issues in that place where you're living. I hope you don't have to pay much rent. Is your landlord some kind of slumlord? :) Good thing you've got insurance.

Deanne said...

I agree that all should know where the water (and gas) shut off is. We had a flood when living in Michigan, but much much worse than yours....we were in CA for Christmas and a pipe broke while we were gone and it didn't stop until we got back home 3 days later!!! To say that my pregnancy with Isabel was eventful is an understatement. Let me just say that doing a house remodel while prego is not something I would recommend. :) Anyway, it doesn't sound like your damage is too bad, and if all it takes is a few days of noisy fans then I'd say you got it easy. I hope there isn't any damage beyond airing out the floors.

Jessica said...

Oh no, I am so very sorry that this happened. Are you going to have to replace the wood floors?
I also totally agree that you should learn how to turn off your water. Andy and I turn ours off every time we go on a trip. Just to have the peace of mind that there will be no flood when we get home.
I hope you get some better luck coming your way. :-)

Kids,Cookies and more of the same said...

Wow! Sorry this happened! Where is the water line usually? Laundry room? Garage? Outside? I am C*L*U*E*L*E*S*S!!