Saturday, March 15, 2008

To Calvin's Fan's

Well, I've quit posting what time Calvin wakes up. Part of it is because I don't hear him of the time until he comes in to talk to me and I don't really know what time he wakes up. That has it's advantages (my sleep) and disadvantages (trouble he gets into while I am sleeping, such as playing in Dave's car in the garage which happened twice last week). The other reason I don't track the time is because it really doesn't change. The kid wakes up early! Even this week after the time change he was still up at right around 5 everyday, today he got up a little after 4. This completely surprised me because he went to bed at 7:30 last night and I didn't let him nap at all yesterday. If he ever does start sleeping like a normal child, I'll let you know. Until then, you can just imagine that he is getting up between 4:30-5:30.

Dave got his rotation schedule through 2013 this week. And, nope that isn't to the end of his residency. He'll still have his chief year after that. It is interesting to see what he'll be doing. Actually, he'll always be doing neurosurgery (with the exception of 3 months each of neuropathology and neuroradiolgy) but he'll be at various hospitals during that time including the children's hospital, a private hospital, and the VA as well as the two separate UCSD hospitals. The next 2 years will be TOUGH! but after that I think it'll be pretty reasonable. Years 5 and 6 are research/elective years where Dave will have a lot of flexibility and no hospital responsibilities so he will hopefully/probably work something like a regular job during that time.

Yesterday Clare was helping me get the baby room ready. The baby will be sleeping in my walk in closet for several months so that she is close to me and easy to get to for those night feedings! Then, hopefully we'lll be able to move her in with Clare. Clare found this hat, put it on and stood in the corner saying "cheese" "mom, take my picture." Isn't she getting big? Her hair is long and always in her eyes until I help her do her hair. I sometimes wonder if I should cut bangs for her but I'm pretty sure Dave would kill me if I did that.



Speaking of haircuts, I miss Bonnie. I got my hair cut this week one afternoon when Dave ended up getting home early. I don't really have a person here that I trust/know to cut my hair so I just went to the closest place that had an opening when I was availible. I'm disappointed becuase I don't thing the lady did a good job. It is nothing terrible, it is not crooked or anything like that, it's just not a great hair cut and not exactly what I described that I wanted. (and since I only get my hair cut once or twice a year, I like to feel great after it is done!) My hair was to the middle of my back and now just to my shoulders. At least it will be much easier to take care of and quicker to do but I sure do miss Bonnie and knowing that whatever she would do would be great!!!

Just a little over a week 'til baby comes. We are excited. Dave traded a call night so that he will have 4 calls this week and then none the following week. He'll be busy and tired but it will be nice to have a few nights with him home to put the kids to bed and help out a little. Baby will come Monday and then Dave has call the following Sunday so I guess it's not quite a full week but at least I don't have to be on my own the day I get home from the hospital as it would have been if he didn't trade. Monday is Dave's day off for the week and he says he'll try to get Tues. off too but other than that he doesn't have any days off. This rotation is kind of light since there is another intern on the team so he is hoping to get out in the afternoon everyday that first week. Friends from church are pitching in to help out with the kids while I am in the hospital and for a few days after and that is very nice. Hopefully things go smoothly so that I am back on my feet fast and able to keep up with the busy household!

2 comments:

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

J.R. will miss the daily update...he always says, "Let's see what time Calvin got up this morning!" Yes, he's a fan! Although, a new baby in the house may change some of those sleeping patterns, I've heard babies are tiring on everyone not just mom:). You never know?!

J* said...

His schedule until 2013?!?! Wow. That would be kinda nice. One week. I can't hardly believe and am super excited to see your new sweet girl. Calvin kills me. Enjoy this week as much as you can and try to squeeze in a few extra naps. wish I were there to take your kids for an afternoon or two.Oh, and see you! ;)
~Jessica