Friday, March 28, 2008

Alexey the Great!

Clare is very sweet with Alexey. She says "I want to hold it" and will then sit down wherever she is to have her turn holding the baby. Usually she only wants to hold her for about one minute before she sees something else she'd rather do and is all done!




Calvin loves to hold Alexey. He asks to hold her almost all the time. He is very good with her and helpful -- he likes to help get her diaper, choose what clothes she'll wear, etc. He also says he would like to feed her. We have explained that only girls make milk after they have a baby. Kids learn lots of interesting things when they get a new baby in the house.


We are having a great time. Alexey is a sweet baby and pretty easy so far. Just eating and sleeping most of the time as baby's do!

Dave chose the name Alexey. She doesn't have a middle name (we don't for our girls so they can keep their maiden name as their middle name later on). Alexey is a Russian and Greek name from Alexander and Alexandria and can be a boy or girl name though I'd never use it for a boy myself. It's a common name in Russia. They say it alex-aye, we say it Alex-ie according to Denise's brother Scott who served a mission there. It means defender or protector or helper. Alexey is a boy name found in some of Dave's favorite books (by Dostoevsky and Tolstoy) including Anna Karenina which he is reading right now. She isn't named after any particular character (note that Alexey Vronsky and Alexey Alexandrovich were two of Anna Karenina's lovers who you wouldn't want to identify as namesakes persay, although Alexey Karamazov from Dostoevsky's novel was a good guy - but still not our namesake). Mostly we just liked the name. One fun thing about Alexey is that there are lots of nick names possible. Al, Allie, lexie, Alex.



PS. Like the blanket? I made it. Calvin picked out the fabric.

5 comments:

vanessa said...

Very cute little baby! I am so happy for you! Calvin and Clare look so excited to have a sister. And yes I do like the blanket.

Laurie said...

Congratulations! She's so absolutely beautiful. I love that Dave picked out her name. The way we do it is I come up with all the names and Curtis vetoes them all until we have one left. Whatever works, right? She really is gorgeous, Denise!

Natasha said...

I LOVE the blanket! That was the first thing I thought when I saw the pictures - "cute blanket"! Alexey is adorable too!

Chris and Reba said...

Cute blanket, cuter kids :) I like the explanation of the name.

lisa h. said...

the top picture is so sweet! i love it! i wish i could be there to hold her too.