Monday, October 31, 2011

real life. "what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger"

I post so infrequently I probably don't have any blog readers left. There are 3 reasons I don' t blog much.

1. no time -- 4 kids is busy!
2. dave is on my computer. I have a laptop but I still love my desktop for blogging. It is where all my pictures are. Dave works at home, but he still works hard. Almost always he is up working long past when I go to bed. It is super nice to have him come to dinner if he can and put lex to bed each night and help in other ways.
3. life is hard and I don't very often blog about the tough stuff in life. It's not that I want to appear perfect, it's just that every time I start a post about certain things I feel like I'm whining so I stop and delete.

Today I will write about what is going on. I will start where we are now rather than go back to the beginning ....there might be some gaps or confusion . . .

Calvin. I have written some funny stories and maybe even mentioned that he is a pain in the neck but I've never really disclosed the real challenge that we have with him. I don't mean just Calvin as a person. I love Calvin of course, but I mean whatever it is that makes Calvin difficult. Calvin is "an alphabet child", a child "in the syndrome mix." Two or three years ago if someone would have told me that their child has multiple syndromes I probably would have thought that person was crazy. Now I am that parent! I guess our challenges really are tailor fit for each one of us. I was telling a friend just a few days ago that I sincerely regret not being sweet and humble on my own because this challenge is custom made to make me humble and it is just not fun.

Calvin has ADHD for sure. He also probably has ODD. And there is a pretty good chance he has a couple of other issues coming into play - sensory seeking and processing issues as well. Not to mention he has no endurance and still has major sleep disturbances.

Aside from trying to survive day by day at home, we are now in somewhat of a crisis situation at school. Calvin has trouble behaving in class. He is disruptive and obnoxious. He does not follow directions, he rips up his work when he is mad. Then, when he gets in trouble for the mentioned behaviors and is asked to leave class to cool of he completely melts down and refuses to leave. Usually this escalates to the point of being dragged out of class and b/c Calvin doesn't want to leave class his tantrum continues to escalate until he is kicking and hitting and running away.... and then he is suspended. This has happened 4 times this month. This week we are taking a "medical leave" while we try to let Calvin rest at home. (This is sort of what was happening last year when I eventually pulled him out of school, though last year he never got suspended, he would just get sent home for not being compliant. This year we decided it wasn't a good idea to send him home for being non compliant bc then he would just be able to go home when he didn't feel like being at school...now it has escalated to where he actually has to be suspended to be sent home).

Anyway, it is a very tough situation for many reasons. 1. I feel terrible for Calvin. He really wants to go to school and do well and he is not able to do it. We (the adults in the situation) are not really sure what to do to help him. We have meet at least a dozen times already to try to add support and brainstorm ideas. He did have a good streak of school for about 2 weeks at the end of september but other than that we've had not much luck. 2. I feel terrible for me! I HATE getting those calls from the school. I hate never knowing if I can run errands, go running, take a shower, etc. etc. without having to quit and go get him. I hate not knowing what to do to help him. It is completely humiliating to have a kid behave like Calvin does as I go to church, school, stores, parks, etc. etc. etc. Although, I do think most people in my circle of influence have figured out that Calvin is not just naughty, but that there is something more serious at play and that has changed a few attitudes from judgmental to sympathetic. I have gotten a few emails and phone calls from parents of kids in CAlvin's class who have heard about what is going on offering support and prayers for the family. This is kind of them.

For the homeschool minded people who are thinking, well then why doesn't she just home school? I loved homeschooling and thought it was great but I felt like I needed some extra support in dealing with Calvin and figuring out how to teach him. Since he is so non compliant it is hard to keep up with any curriculum and to stay on top of his learning at home. So, in a way I put some of the responsibility back to the school system to provide him with an education. In some ways this is actually playing to my favor ... because of the severity of the situation we are getting some guidance.

So, there you have it. That is my life. Sometimes it is so all consuming I can barely function. I go through peaks of hope and valleys of despair. But, with a family of 6 (+dan and the dog) the days go by and we just do our best to stay afloat.

I write about it here because it is nice to write sometimes...very therapeutic. Also, a lot of great things that I have learned that have helped me have come from friends or friends of friends. Networking helps me and also, maybe there is something in my experience that can help someone else too.

We are pursuing help wherever we can find it...friends, drs, books, prayers. We have a couple of key dr. appts coming up this month and I am hoping to get pointed in the right direction.

My saving graces:
*Dave being home. He has fielded a lot of those "can you pick up Calvin right now?" phone calls for me so that I can actually do grocery shopping and walking the dog! He has come to many IEP meetings and been around to discuss what to do next.
*dan. We call him "the calvin whisperer." He has helped me so many times. He has watched kids while I go to meetings at school, stayed with Calvin while I do whatever it is I need to do when I thought Calvin was going to be at school but is home now, and occasionally takes calvin on errands to get him out of my hair for a bit. I am not kidding when i say I would be 6 feet under without these two guys.


In other news, JoAnne laughed tonight. It was her first laugh and it was not just a little chuckle it was a full on hysterical laugh! I laughed so hard I cried. It was such a surprise and completely hilarious! I have been thinking lately about what a blessing it is to have little Jo in our family. About a year ago Dave and I decided it would not be a good time to get pregnant since Calvin was needing some extra attention and that we should wait another year before thinking of having another kid. We did not know that we were already pregnant when we made that decision! Looking back and then seeing where we are now, I am so glad we had Jo when we did b/c if we had reached this fall and thought about wanting another child I'm sure we would not have felt this was a good time either. But we sure love having her in the family and it is so great to have a sweet baby around for everyone to love.

Clare is almost 6! She is doing great in school. She loves reading, counting and all the other things she is learning in K. She has a few friends at school and seems very happy.

Lex is in the terrible threes stage. I think she is probably turned a little upside down with the change of having a new baby and then having me be stressed makes me a little less patient and spending so many hours on the phone and at meetings takes some of my attention from her. But she will be fine. ...she is growing and doing great and loving that she gets to go to Joy school with her friends!

13 comments:

Williams Family said...

Oh Denise! I wish we were still close. We will keep Calvin and your family in our thoughts and prayers. Jane is missing Clare so much. Miss you friend!

lisa h. said...

wow, that made me tear up. I'm so sorry for all the stres and worries. I hope you find answers soon. I'm so glad you have dave and dan right now to help out.

Melissa said...

I am just getting caught up on everyone's blogs. I feel behind on life myself.

I hope you guys can get answers to help guide your way a little better. Being in uncharted waters is not fun at all. Having a diagnosis helps for sure. With Natalie, I am on a couple of online forums and those help me so much, questions/answers with other parents dealing with same struggles. I wonder if there is similar ones for you on yahoo groups for ADHD and the other ones you talked about. You may be able to join one and network there and get some great advice from other parents in your path.

I think you need an emergency time-out for mommy night. Having to juggle too many balls, you are bound to drop one, once in a while. I am glad Dave is home to help. Is he home all year?

Jessica Dahlquist said...

You are such a trooper and Calvin is lucky to have such a patient and loving mom like you. Someday when you are looking back at this hard time, I know you'll be a shoulder to cry on for someone else struggling with the same thing. Nonetheless, I hope tomorrow is a day of joy and peace for you. You deserve it!

Natasha said...

Much love to you!!! Calvin's behavior sounds very similar to Caden's at times. So far ours has been contained to home. Can't imagine how hard it must be to have that struggle everywhere you go. I hope you find answers - it so hard when you feel helpless to help your child. I will be praying for you!!!

Holly said...

Have you gone the prescription drug route yet? We went to the doctor this week and she wrote Jonathan a prescription for an ADD medication mainly to help with concentration and memory. Now the question is do I fill it. I'm leaning toward yes while Joe says absolutely not. The huge question is how far do we push it to get help for our kids? You're in our prayers.

Joseph & Tracy Larsen said...

Denise! I am so sorry to hear about your difficulties. Our prayers are with you.

Erin Mason said...

Denise, I think often about you and what a fantastic job you are doing as a mom. You have some difficult trials with Calvin needing special attention, and Dave working so much, and just having four kids, but you are always so upbeat. You are involved in other people's lives and strong in the gospel. You seem to be doing much more than just staying afloat.

And I totally understand that feeling of not being able to be who you want to be because your kids are crazy, so they make you look crazy. Sometimes I just want to be able to walk through a store with my kids without having people stare at me because my kids are climbing into the shelves, or running through the aisles, or wrestling on the floor. It can be so embarrassing!

Someday, when us moms are old, and our houses are empty and quiet, we'll look back on the out-of-control times and be so nostalgic that we'll wish we could have even one chaotic day back, right? RIGHT??? :) Nah! We'll go visit our grandkids for a few hours, and then go shopping alone!

Ashley said...

What a sweet, sincere post. I will pray for you and your beautiful family. Everything happens for a reason and your thoughts and prayers never go unnoticed. In the end, it will all work out. *HUGS* :)

Emilee said...

Holy smokes, life is hard. I'm so sorry for your frustration, but I'm glad you wrote about them so I can at least put you in my prayers. Calvin is certainly blessed to have someone as thoughtful are you are for parents.

Anonymous said...

Oh Denise....I am so sorry that things are so rough! I loved what you said about being humble. Reminds me of a conference talk that I love from april. He said, "Rather than wonder what you might have done wrong in the premortal life to be so deserving, you might consider the more challenging child a blessing and opportunity to become more godlike yourself. With which child will your patience, long-suffering, and other Christlike virtues most likely be tested, developed, and refined? Could it be possible that you need this child as much as this child needs you?"

And, I also loved what you wrote about Jo. What a sweet addition to your family.

Hugs and prays to you! You are doing a fabulous job with him and he is so lucky to have you as a mother. Don't forget that!

Laura said...

Sounds so stressful. I feel for you. I wish I had answers for you, but I can tell you that having him in school with the amount of specialists and an iep plan in place you will find more help in that way. I bet you dread the phone ringing. Ally has a problem she still has and has had for a long time and I never bring it up on the blog or anywhere anymore either for fear of judgement. Know that Calvin is who he is and most people don't judge. There is a little boy in Ally's class that has many issues and I keep reminding her to be his friend and she is good to him so I am sure it is that way with Calvin. Have you thought of a counselor for his anger issues? I am probably putting Ally in some counselling because she gets so angry. Luckily she only throws her anger fits at home, but it is frustrating to know how to help her be better at controlling her temper. Anyway, good luck. Know that I am thinking about you and Calvin and hoping for the best.

vanessa said...

Ditto to what Jessica said. You are a trooper and such a good friend. I'll be praying for you to find the answers you need. Call anytime.