Saturday, October 1, 2011

day 1 - travel day - longest day ever!

quick synopsis:

6:15 leave home

8am plane takes off SAN-NEWARK. Flying time 5:20 minutes
layover in Newark for 1 hour, eat at McDonalds

5:20 board plane for a 37 minute flight from Newark to Baltimore. 5:45 announcement that plane is delayed for a tire change. 6:20 announcement that plane is #13 for take off...waiting on the runway for another 30 minutes. 7pm finally take off. 7:45pm land in Baltimore and get off plane. 8pm can't find Calvin's shoes...find them in a backpack. take bus to car rental terminal, rent car and hit the road.

10:30 stop for dinner.

12 midnight, arrive at Scott's house.

1am asleep!!!!


some details:

We left home at 6ish for our 8am flight. I had booked 5 seats and indicated that I'd carry on the infant. 3 seats on one row and 2 seats on another row. I learned a little trick in my flying past and that is when flying with an infant and one other child, book the aisle and window instead of the middle seat. That way if there is an empty seat on the airplane you can ask the person who has the middle seat to move to another middle seat. If you try asking someone with a window or aisle to move to a middle then your chances of getting a row to yourself are diminished significantly. So, anyway, there were about 5 extra seats on the plane and I was able to ask the person who booked on our row to move to another row which meant I could bring my baby carseat onto the airplane. This was great!! JoAnne slept in her car seat for the first 3 hours of the flight. She was definitely the easiest traveler but that is no surprise.



Calvin had a meltdown on the airplane but eventually fell asleep.

It was fun flying into Newark because as you approach the airport you fly parallel with Manhatten and get a great view of the New York City skyline! So amazing. We could also see the statue of liberty.

As we descended we saw a lot of freight containers of all colors. Clare asked "hey, why are there so many legos down there?" They did look like legos! It was pretty cute!

We rented a van. Loading up to come home I had a renewed love for my suburban. It has so much more cargo space. However, the kids were SO EXCITED to see a dvd player in the car.

I am sorry to admit that I turn into a complete BaSKeT cASe when I get ready for a big trip. This bled over a bit into our first day of traveling. Also, dave and I differ somewhat in our idea of how to plan a trip. I think we should have an itinerary with all the details laid out. Dave thinks we should just see what happens... this causes a bit of issue as we arrive and I have made plans without consulting him or if I had made plans but consulted him while he was not listening and thought he was listening.

I packed myself and 4 kids in 2 suitcases. Dave packed himself in 2 suitcases. (KARI, he had to have en extra bag for his shoes...!!!)

No comments: