Friday, July 1, 2011

moving forward with residency

Today starts Dave's 5th year of residency. School and training are starting to feel so long that even though we are nearer the end than the beginning it is hard to believe we will ever be done....and truth be told I'll probably have a panic attack when we are done b/c I'm so used to and comfortable with where we're at now.

Dave had $300 on his meal card at Children's so yesterday he brought home a bazillion cookies and lots of juice. He also bought lunch for everyone in the cafeteria when he was there. Additionally he took cases of juice and chips to the neurosurgery office there. In the end only $50 was left/wasted/stolen by the hospital. $250 -- not bad for one day of spending in a hospital cafeteria.

Today dave got to turn in the children's pager which is a nice burden to be lifted since it is on 24/7. He is off for the weekend and then on home call for one of the USCD hospitals T-Sun of next week. He requested the 7-10th off since we are having a baby on the 7th but his request was not granted. The chief resident, who is in charge of the schedule, said he couldn't give the days off but would be sure dave is protected from call for a few days once the baby is born. I'm not really sure what that means, but I did tell dave if his pager beeps at all while I'm in the hospital I will kill it. One resident is getting married next weekend and Chiazo is out of town attending to her sister's funeral and apartment and other family affairs. Hopefully the residents who are left will step up and make it work somehow. It will be a busy week for them. I will be shocked if they don't call and beg dave to come in. He says he won't go, but I do worry.

The 5th and 6th year of residency in Dave's program are set aside for research. Dave will be spending a lot of time in a lab, taking classes and pursuing some goals to broaden his mind and expand his CV. He will also take some backup call. I'm guessing a week/month. It will be interesting to see how this schedule varies from the clinical crazy schedule he has been accustomed to for the last 6 years.

4 comments:

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...

And happy birthday to your baby brother, who is now 20.

8 years of medical training has made you snooty; CV...in the lowly world it's simply called a resume.

Em said...

I'm so sorry! I really hope everything works out with Dave's schedule. When I had N D was on call and he left me all night. Yeah, I was ticked.

Melissa said...

I think it is SO unfair to not let a resident off during a birth of their own baby. Seriously. Tim's program has issues with that as well, and they are not allowed paternity leave and it is a headache when someone has a baby.

Funny you write about the meal card thing. Tim always brings home goodies for us and the kids and at their chief roast a few weeks ago, (involves a videoed skit) the chiefs made fun of Tim by pushing a small grocery cart through the surgeons lounge and filing it up with food.... ha ha. I guess Tim is not alone!