Friday, September 18, 2009

parenting advice

What is your favorite parenting book? I am looking for a couple of fresh ideas!

8 comments:

Natasha said...

We love the Love and Logic books/CDs. A really great short one with a little different theory is Parenting with Love by Glenn Latham (longer version is The Power of Positive Parenting). I have also gotten lasting techniques from Parenting the Strong-willed Child and The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp.

One of the best strategies we learned was from our counselor a few years ago. It is on my mind because I saw an instance today where it would have worked wonders.

It is this...kids want to be heard. Even if they are not going to be able to do something they are asking to do, they still want to know that you understand what it is they want to do or how they feel.

Kid wanted to play with water balloons. Dad said no. Kid kept asking to play with water balloons with greater intensity. Dad said no with greater intensity. Etc. In my opinion all the boy needed was for Dad to say, "You really want to play with water balloons don't you? It's so sad that we can't do that today isn't it?" The boy might have been sad but at least he knew he was heard.

Did you want me to write my own book right on your blog comments? : ) Good luck with whatever parenting struggles you have!

Em said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Em said...

"Christlike Parenting" by Latham. I need to re-read it!

Anonymous said...

I'm normally the type to devour helpful books, but aside from books on establishing good sleeping habits, I've yet to pick up a parenting book.

I'm sure the time will come, though... so I'll keep an eye on your comments! ;)

Joseph & Tracy Larsen said...

I recently bought "So you want to raise a boy?" (Skousen) The parenting advice is more general, but what's great about it is that it goes through each age of a boy, and tells you what to expect. I am sure that it could apply to girls too. The book is also written by a BYU professor, so it has a religious perspective.

"Love and Logic" was the the book I was trying to remember the other day. I have a friend that used it word for word, but it didn't work for me. (I felt like I was picking on David all day.) I do think it's worth reading for the general ideas, like not getting angry and providing natural consequences.

I am always looking for new ideas, so if you find anything great let me know!

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

Sorry this has nothing to do with this post but--

Okay so I am really slow...just got it that your dog's name is Tressel--LOVE IT!!

Pete said...

Time for a new post.

Erin Mason said...

Hi Denise - I'm so bad at keeping in touch, but I do keep updated thanks to your blog. When Sam was a toddler I read "The Soft-Spoken Parent". It's been a while, so I need to re-read it, but it helped me keep my cool when Sam tested my patience, and from what I remember, I really found it helpful. By the way, Jon wants me to suggest the book "When Did You Become a Florida Gator?" I'm pretty sure he made that one up :)