Thursday, June 4, 2009

26.2 miles

Man, that is a long way!!

last weekend dave ran the SD rock-n-roll marathon. We went and saw dave at mile 12 and then at the finish line. At mile 12 (much further than I could ever run, yet not even 1/2 way through the race), dave looked great! He was in a good rhythm, on a nice pace and he was smiling! He reached out to give us high 5 and Calvin thought he was reaching out for a hug so Calvin walked out to him and nearly got run over since dave was not stopping for hugs.







AT the finish line dave was not so smiley! He looked like he might die. Here he is a few yards from the finish. I didn't get any good ones of the finish line, but Jessica my sis in law did so I might post more later.
You can watch a video of dave finishing the race here. you can search by his name or race # of 5263 you will see him lifting his arms above his head in the victory stance (except he is so tired he almost couldn't get them above his head)!!

I am so proud of dave for finishing, not dying, not breaking anything and not throwing up (lots of throwing up that day). I got teary eyed several times watching people running, knowing how hard they have worked to make it to marathon day. It was touching at the finishing line to see people help friends across whose legs gave out in the last 100 yards.

The announcer at the race said to the fans, "come on people, cheer! These runners have been running for 4 hours. that is a long time. most of us haven't done anything for 4 hours. Even a movie is at most 3." well, I was thinking that I have done something as hard as a marathon that takes just as much preparation, sweat, sometimes throw up, and then leaves you sore for days to come. That's right folks, giving birth. I am not joking. This is as physically strenuous as a marathon and can last even longer than 4 hours. It is physically as hard as it gets. I don't want to take away anything from those who run races. It is awesome!! i just thought I'd share my funny thoughts. I guess I was just really looking for an excuse not to feel like I need to run a marathon and I found a pretty good one. :)

8 comments:

Scott said...

Do I really see a picture of Dave with a Michigan hat in the foreground?! Great job training for and finishing the race, Dave.

Johnson Fam said...

Wow! Congrats Dave! I had no idea he was even training for a marathon. That is a huge accomplishment.

Though like you, one I never care to fulfill myself. I like your thoughts on child birth being just as hard. :)

vanessa said...

Great Job Dave! Thats motivation for me to do a marathon! Denise I totally agree with you about giving birth!

lisa h. said...

you've run 3 "marathons!"

that is awesome Dave! wow, very impressed. I have no desire to ever do that, but good for you!

Ashley said...

WAY TO GO CROUTON (and Denise)!!! I am extremely impressed! :)

Melissa said...

Great job Dave! I had no idea you were a runner. Tim loves to run as well, and a rock n roll one sounds so fun. Thanks for sharing Denise!

Em said...

Seriously, how the heck did Dave manage to find time to train?

I am majorly impressed.

Janell said...

You run a marathon around your house most days, I am sure of it!! That is awesome for Dave! Great Job!