It's kind of a weird thing to be thankful for this morning since thanks to UCSD neurosurgery Dave is working instead of home on Thanksgiving...but I have been thinking a lot lately about how happy I am to be in San Diego and how grateful I am for the program Dave is in.
I am so glad that UCSD picked Dave. It was near the top of our rank list but not number one, and who knows how we could have been so crazy to want to go someplace else, and I am SO THANKFUL that we matched here. Dave is too. It is perfect for us in so many ways.
I LOVE living in San Diego. For the first time in my adult life I really feel like I'm at home. In all the years of schooling and places that I've lived since leaving home, I have always felt like it was a pit stop in my life journey. I'm sure a large part of that was the fact that we were living in apartments and our stay was very temporary. Now I feel like I've arrived; and I love it! I love our house, our ward, our school, our view, the weather, living near family, having Dan with us, being in the same town as Jessica's family so that we get to see them on all the holidays. I love being in a touristy town so we always have lots of visitors. I love all the wonderful people here.
I like sunshine. I am not a person that has a tendency towards depression however, I have noticed a difference in how I feel over the last 2 years. I find that sunshine makes me happier! I understand why people pay "the sunshine tax" to live in CA. I am willing to do the same. Life is easier without bad weather. When I was living in other places I didn't mind the weather. I even liked the seasons, but now that I am without them I would say that I definitely prefer the weather here. I like to go out and play sports, play at the park, walk, sit. It is so nice to be able to go outside year round.
I am glad the residency program is 7 years. It is so good to know that we will be here for such a long time. I find myself not wanting to think about what is after residency because I would be super happy to stay here forever!
Dave works with great people. The chief resident this year is basically Dave's boss and has complete control over how the hospital is run. Fortunately for us, he is AMAZING. He has been very conscientious about the work load and has tried very hard to make it fair and manageable for everyone (this has not always been the case in this particular program). He is also a very nice guy and all around good person. Many of the other people at work are people Dave enjoys working with which makes the work experience a good one for Dave.
I'm so glad Dave loves his job. He is having a good time learning to operate and it what he does is exciting to him. Working 88 hours a week and having no time for anything but work and sleep would be quite miserable if he did not love what he is doing.
I am so grateful that Dave is so smart :) and so hard working. I am so proud of him for all he's doing.
here is Dave modeling his surgical glasses for us!
6 comments:
I'm so happy you and Dave are loving it there. It sounds like everything is a good as can be and having a great chief resident does make a huge difference! I bet it's so nice to feel like "you've arrived" and are home, especially a good thing 'cause you'll be there for a while. I'm still waiting not to feel like I'm in transition...but in the meantime it is nice to be back west and by family.
Hope your Thanksgiving was nice, even though Dave had to work (so did Duncan).
oh, i miss you. i'm missing some nice warm weather right now! i'm glad his program is so good and that you are loving CA!
Nice loupes Dave. I'm glad you guys are so happy in San Diego. Wish we could come visit. Ohio is so cold.
So glad that Dave's program is a great fit for him, you and your great family! I love the sunshine too and being close to family is always a perk.
If you have to be somewhere for 7 years, San Diego is a great place to be! I would love to live there (but the traffic would take some getting used to). I, too, LOVE the sunshine and secretly hope we will one day end up in St. George. Not a likely possibility, but maybe after Jeff retires...
Very nicely put. We're glad you're here too!
Post a Comment