Summer is a super hard time for glasses because we swim, play in sprinklers, go to the beach, sweat a lot and do other activities that make it hard to wear glasses and patch.
Some of you might remember a few months ago my post about taping his hands behind his back. Well, yesterday after playing all day w/o the patch we came home in the afternoon and I decided that instead of swimming I would tape up Calvin and make him have some patch time. This is a sacrifice for all of us -- Clare and I had to miss our fun in the pool too. Anyway, long story short. Calvin can take off his patch even with his hands taped. (cry long enough to get it wet and un-sticky it'll come right off with some face wiggling) So, I tried the next thing. Reinforce patch with duct tape. He got this off too by crying and then rubbing his face on the floor. Who knew tantrums could be so helpful?
After discussing this with dave we thought we might have to go to the next frontier... tape him to a chair or duct tape all the way around his head so he cannot get the patch off. I was concerned this was too mean but dave assures me they put duct tape on people's heads ALL THE TIME and it's no big deal even if it does hurt a little and some hair is lost when they pull it off!
I really really hope he wears it at school (he did for preschool). Then he'll get plenty of patching time as school for us will be all day (9-3).
8 comments:
Oh Denise... so sorry to hear about all you guys are going through. Too bad Calvin won't keep it on. It is so hard to reason with small children. That is great that he left it on during preschool, so hopefully he will do the same in K. Maybe all the activities distract him and he doesn't think about it as much. Good luck and I really hope your house stuff gets better soon.
The Lord appreciates ALL your efforts!!!
Oh Friend....after such a nice morning and you were so looking forward to the swim. Stay strong and good job listening to your hubby!!
That picture of Calvin is just too sad. He'll thank you one day though (natural consequences for not obeying mom on this one is a bit harsh, huh?) and I'm sure the day he no longer has to wear the patch will be a huge relief! What a great mom you are, I am so impressed and amazed.
calvin. whew. i bet he'll do great with it in kindergarten. maybe if you make deals with him he'll want to wear it? but i think you've tried that. i think calder and calvin have similar personalities!
I am so sorry. Calvin--wear your patch! I have to say that if I were Calvin I wouldn't want to either. He looks so sad in that picture. I hope he starts to improve.
at least he's developing tenacity, right? Good luck, Denise--that sounds so hard!
Sorry about your huge frustration!! Don't know what I would do.
Post a Comment