A while ago Jessica said she tried a broccoli soup recipe that didn't turn out.
So, a couple of nights ago we had broccoli soup and I was thinking of her. Rather than email it out, I thought I'd post my recipe here. There are two versions. First, the recipe in the cookbook and second, what I actually do. I'll post both.
Cookbook Broccoli Cheese Soup
6 c. potatoes, diced
2 c. carrots, diced
2 c. celery, diced
1 c. onion, diced
Place veggies in a good sized pot, with just enough water to cover and steam for 20-30 minutes. Then add a package of frozen broccoli or some fresh broccoli chopped. Cook until veggies are tender.
Then in a separate pot melt 3/4 c butter. Then add 3/4 c flour. Cook stirring constantly, for a few minutes, then add:
2 c. milk and mix until well blended. Then add,
6 chicken bullion cubes
1 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. pepper
1 lb. velvetta cheese, cut in pieces.
Mix, stirring regularly to keep from sticking. When cheese and bouillon have melted, add veggies (undrained).
Here's what I do. I cook the above veggies as described but also add about 3 of bouillon cubes in with them. When I make the cream sauce I omit the bullion cubes. I sometimes go without the cheese, or if I do use the cheese I just use shredded cheddar because I never have velveeta on hand. Sometime I'll have to try the real recipe and see how it is. I'm sure it's a completely different soup! One time I added culiflower to mine. It tasted fine but Dave thought it was kind of weird to have white culiflower in a white soup.
Off topic, but still for Pete and Jessica. Yesterday we went to the SD Zoo and out in the parking lot they have a tower with a security guard keeping watch of the parking lot. Dave and I thought he looked a lot like a sniper and it made us think that if a certain someone ever gets tired of preschool she might be able to become a sniper! :)
2 comments:
Thanks for thinking of us Denise. We'll give that soup a try. I just went to a cooking and baking class all about "hearty soups" and I told my broccoli cheese soup drama. At least it's good for a laugh!
I'll have to try this, I've tried so many of your recipes out the ward cookbook and we always love them!
Post a Comment