It is funny. I have been thinking about posting about a couple of books I read recently because I like to see Reba do that and today Krystal said the same thing, and started a book blog. It is a good idea. I'm sure I won't do as good a job as either one of them and I won't necessairily write about all the books I read, but here goes.
Call of the Wild by Jack London -- A good book. a story about dogs....at first I thought it was kind of weird to hear all the names of the characters, which are dogs, along with such detailed description of their personality. But, I learned to enjoy it and really came to love the main character, a dog named Buck. I even teared up at one point! I listened to this book instead of reading on paper.
The Death of Ivan Ilyich - Another good book. Leo Tolstoy is probably Dave's favorite author and War and Peace his favorite book, but I have been a little daunted to pick it up and try it as I prefer to read books that I can move through faster than that! Anyway, Death of Ivan Illich is a short book -- 100 pages or so and so I thought it'd be a good way to give Tolstoy a try. He is a good writer. The book is about a guy dying. That is all. It is not really sad because you don't grow to love the character. Mostly it is interesting. I think I would read it again if I had a close friend or family member dying because it really makes you think about what the dying person is suffering. It is amazing he could write such a detailed account without actually dying himself. Apparently he was fascinated with death. It makes me feel more compassionate towards people who are terminally ill and first come to face the reality of their own death and then suffer as such trivial life goes on about them and nobody can truly understand what they are going through (as everyone who already went through it is dead).
2 comments:
Thanks for this; I love reading reviews and getting recommendations for myself.
One morning, I was up at around 4:00 to feed Kyla and I found myself wondering if Calvin was awake (random thought, I know). Then I realized the time difference between us and realized you still had three good hours before he got up.:)
I love reading book reviews, too. You make me want to read Call of the Wild. Thanks!
Post a Comment