Well, it looks like I got the extra day in the hospital that I wished I had taken 3 weeks ago. Only, it was/is NOT RESTFUL at all.
First, let me start by saying we're fine.
Now, on to the story.
So, JoAnne was running a low grade fever Tues night. I woke up dave around 2am to tell him she had a fever of 100.4 which is exactly the cutoff to take a newborn into the ER. We watched her close for a while and decided that since she was eating well and really great it was not worth the risk of taking her to the hospital where she'd be poked prodded and exposed to everything ikcy in the world.
We also figured it was more than likely that she has the virus/cold that lex has had this week rather than a serious and life threatening bacterial infection so we thought we'd just watch her for a while.
She was fine Wed during the day and then wed night was running a fever again. This time a little higher and definitely over the threshold for an infant her age. plus she was whining all nignt and wouldn't sleep unless I was holding her and obviously not feeling well at all. Dave was on call at the hospital but when he got home at 6am and felt how warm she was and heard about how fussy she was he told me I had to bring her in. So, even though I didn't want to do it, I decided to bring her to the hospital knowing it meant Lumbar puncture (LP), and many other pokes, antibiotics and admission for at least one day.
We arrived at the ER around 7am yesterday (TH). Her temp measured 101.5. They gave her Tylenol which helped her feel much better. Once she got that Tylenol and it kicked in after 20 or 30 she didn't fuss at all when they continued to bother her. She got an iv put in, blood drawn, urine drawn and the LP. We were admitted and told we'd just wait out the results of the labs and cultures. She looked great, acted great and seemed just fine and has been doing super well the entire time we have been here. It is standard procedure to keep the babies for 48-72 hours but since she is looking so well and the cultures are negative so far we are going to get out of here a little early (after about 36 hours) as long as everything looks good this evening.
I hate having her here in the hospital as it is super stressful knowing that there is so much illness around and I worry about her catching something while we're here. Last night about 3 am they added a patient to our room. It was a girl life-flighted over b/c of seizures. When they were doing the history on her I heard them talking about fevers and pneumonia. Mother bear was not happy about sharing a room with a contagious patient. Nursing staff didn't realize she had communicable illness and moved her out immediately. When she left I sanitized the room and then housekeeping came in to sanitize also. I hate hospitals. And I love them too.
JoAnne has been a happy little camper here. She has been sleeping and eating and pooping and peeing as newborns should. She surprisingly hasn't been bothered at all by the IV on her arm. She does not like to have her temp taken (rectal) and despises the blood pressure cuff tightening on her leg.
I am tired. and a little bored. But I did finish a great book while I was here. The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King.
I am also so grateful that it is summer and not winter when the really bad respiratory infections are going around. If and that is a BIG IF! I have another baby I will try for spring or summer again since it is so hard to keep the big kid germs off of the babies when there are so many bodies in the house and you can't very well keep the entire family home for 2 months!
Also, Daves schedule is pretty light right now so he has been able to help out with the kids while I am stuck here which is nice for them and also for me. I feel I have abused my friends' kindness enough over this past month.
We have had a lot of help this month and I am grateful for everyone who has helped. Hopefully we can get life under control soon so I don't have to keep asking for help!
well, wish us luck -- hopefully we'll be home this evening.
I have some pics to add when I get home.
This morning they did add another patient to our room. She is a 4 year old girl with nephrotic syndrome. (Not contagious but still not great to share a room in my opinion). Her mom is gone running errands so nurses are helping watch her and I call the nurses if/when she needs something. I don't mind helping at all -- I am bored out of my mind so it gives me a little something else to do. Not to be too judgmental, but I can't really imagine leaving a 4 year old in the hospital alone. I makes me nervous to even go to the bathroom and have my eyes off JoAnne for 30 seconds.
And jessica, to answer your question about sharing a room -- yes, she does have to walk right across us to get to the bathroom which is in our corner of the world. not a good setup at all. why do they even have shared rooms?
10 comments:
I will be happy to come help out around the house. I can promise many In-N-Out runs and homemade buffalo wings. I also will take kiddos swimming. That's about all.
Oh my! I hope everything turns out fine for both your sakes.
Oh my goodness! How scary! I hope you are out soon!
boo to shared rooms. I am so sorry about this and even for you, since you just had a baby! I hope she is all better soon and stays healthy. i am sure everyone is ready to jump in and help, don't feel at all bad about needing help! It's so hard to read this stuff and not be able to help. We'll keep Joann in our prayers. get better!
so glad everything was fine.
I can't believe the mom left either. I think that would be so scary to a child.
glad you are home and all is well.
Thank you for addressing my bathroom question. That certainly is poor planning. Loved spending some hours with little Jojo
I'm tired just reading this! I'm glad everything turned out OK.
I am assuming everything turned out okay. I totally thought sharing rooms was a thing of the past but between your experience and my sister's upcoming delivery in Arkansas, I have been proven wrong. That stinks! As for leaving the hospital- when Tyler was in Children's Hospital I left for probably 10 min-15min to go get something to eat b/c I was STARVING, when I came back he was gone! I knew he was on the wait list for an ultrasound but didn't know when it would occur. I was somewhat upset that they would go ahead with it w/o me, luckily I got there in time for the results!
I wondered what would happen if a parent wasn't there with their child. That's interesting. I hate hospitals, too, and once you're in, it's so hard to get out!
And I definitely recommend having babies in the spring/summer. It's super stressful in the winter and SO hard to keep baby healthy!
This is exactly what happened to us with Ella. And everyone who would have come with me to help keep me company was also sick with the same thing I was so sure Ella had. So glad JoAnne is well!!
Post a Comment