Now I will share some history of grandpa -- feel free to skip but it is going in my journal so it can go here too!
He was born #9 of 9 kids in the middle of nowhere PA. His mother died when he was 1 year old. His father was too poor to keep all the kids and had no way to care for them all by himself so he farmed them out to orphanages and family members. nobody wanted John so he lived w/ his dad. They knew the meaning of the great depression. Grandpa told a story of one Christmas when he knew he'd get no presents he woke up to find an orange for him. He had no idea how his father managed to walk to town and get it or how he managed to pay for it. He told us the story as a lesson in gratitue and his marvel at all the stuff we get for Christmas every year. We are so spoiled! Grandpa joined the military just before the war ended. He was sent to Italy. When he returned home his brother encouraged him to play football to recieve a chance at going to college on a scholarship. He went to University of Nevada, Reno on a football scholarship and ended up staying there the rest of his life.
He was married to a woman named Fay Briggs. She was a member of the church. Grandpa was not, but did join the church thanks to her. They had two children together and then she died of breast cancer while the children were still very young.
Grandma Gonda (Joanne Connley) was at this time married to a man named David Barnes. She had a 2 year old boy, (dave's dad, Daniel Gonda) and was expecting a second child when David Barnes was killed in a fighter jet on a routine test flight. She ended up moving to Reno and there met Grandpa.
Grandpa and Grandma celebrated 50 years of marriage last year. They are a great couple!
Some other things I remember about grandpa.
When Dave and I got engaged G and G drove over from Reno to meet me. Grandpa assured me I was in the hot seat and that they came to check me out and make sure I was okay for David. They took s out for a great dinner and then when we got in the car to go back home we got on the off ramp of the freeway going the wrong way. I thought I was gonig to die!! Yikes!
Grandpa was a sealer in the Reno temple so when we got married he got permission to come to the SD temple and marry us. It was great. He gave us lots of good advice. One thing I remember in particular was him quoting Majorie Hinckley, "learn to eat burnt toast" meaning, don't whine or complain and just appreciate what you have!
Grandpa always studeied his scriptures in the quiet wee morning hours.
G and G always said prayers on their knees, even though it became hard to get up off of the knees. I was always so impressed with them and their habit of family prayer when I came to visit.
Grandma and Grandpa liked to cruise. After one cruise, I asked how everything was on the boat and if they like the food and entertainment. Grandpa said IT WAS GREAT!! What's not to like about a cruise. He appreciated just being able to go, whereas many travelers are not satisfied with this or that when they go on a trip.
Grandpa was always positive and thought life was great. He always said to dave, "Hi David, How ya doing? Life great?!" and he did think so!
the grandsons were pallbearers
the youngest grandson with this hand on the back of the casket
the beautiful flowers for the top of the casket
totally random pic of dave and I at breakfast the morning before the funeral
TO BE CONTINUED....
No comments:
Post a Comment