Wednesday, December 16, 2009

advice to men who are shopping for gifts -- do not repeat the mistakes dave made

Two years ago dave surprised me with a present that he picked out all by himself. (usually we give gifts that we basically request or things that we really need). He thought it was so sweet of him to give me a pair of EXTRA LARGE Men's basketball shorts. Girls, you will not be as shocked as dave was Christmas day, to learn that this was not the best gift I have ever been given. #1. I do not like to think of myself as XL in size. Even though I was 8 months pregnant at the time ...... 8 months pregnant is when one really wants to think that XL will not be lasting much longer! #2. It is only one step away from being like Homer simpson and giving a bowling ball with HIS name on it to Marge.

It was a really nice try though and the reason he gave the shorts was not for reason #1 or #2. I used to always borrow Dave's shorts to sleep in and so he thought I'd like my own pair just like his. He was wrong. In the months to come dave often borrowed my shorts to wear to bed or basketball since they did happen to fit him just right. Later he came in to the bathroom I was painting and (didn't help) and got paint all over them. I told him at that point I was giving them back to him and he'd get no credit for giving them to me as a gift even if his motives were somewhat pure.

This year Dave went on a trip to New Orleans. Of course he dearly missed his lovely wife at home so while walking the streets he picked up a t-shirt for me. I like t-shirts so I was excited that he got me one -- until I unpacked and found it. It was a men's large. now in this case, I knew he wasn't getting one to fit him since he is an XL, but it was still too big for me.
Here is the conversation that followed
I asked him why he got a L shirt and he said, "well, I couldn't decide between a medium or Large so I went with large just to be safe."
Denise "I am a small"
Dave said, "oh"
Denise added "dave if you are ever in doubt about a size when shopping for me in the future, err on the side of smaller.... even if it is going to be too small for me I will be pleased to know that you think of me as small instead of XL. Thank you very much."

Ladies, do you agree?

ps. no offense intended in the discussion of certian sizes. I just happen to be small and scrawny and I would gladly wear a medium or large if I had boobs :)

10 comments:

Heather said...

oh, how I loved this post. Made me laugh out loud. Amen.

Melissa said...

I remember that post about the XL shorts last year. I would love to see you guys in a version of "The Newlywed Game" to see how well Dave knows you... ha ha

Johnson Fam said...

Oh poor Dave! He did try at least. Jeff asks me at least twice a year what my sizes are (Xmas & bday) and of course depending on the store it depends on the size which always frustrates him. He fortunately, or unfortunately, opts on the small side where I'd rather him opt for the larger. That way I could at least use it from time to time.

Love Melissa's comment! That would be fun and I'm not sure Jeff and I would ever do good on a show like that ourselves. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Christmas card. I can't believe how big everyone is getting! Merry Christmas!

Pete said...

especially you mrs. XL basketball shorts!!!!

Lisa said...

Hahaha Denise! You crack me up...just about woke up my kidlets laughing out loud! :)

Malinovka said...

So hilarious, Denise! I am loving reading all of your "Dave stories" and then retelling them to Eric. Eric has only bought clothes for me once that I can think of right now, and he called me while he was at the store to ask what size I wanted. Otherwise, he stays far away from that area of gifting. :)

lisa h. said...

oh my gosh...that last line was pretty funny. hehehe!

vanessa said...

That was too funny! I love your posts! Thanks for the Christmas Card, we sure do miss you guys. Have a great christmas!

Thany said...

Dave: "Oh."
That part made me laugh so hard.

David and I have had the same conversation and while it means that I often have tee shirts that are too small, he still gets full credit and reward for his thoughtfulness. ;)