Tuesday, August 25, 2009

what we're up to

*Calvin started 1st grade. He was so excited to go back to school and so happy to see all his little buddies again. Everything is quieter with him gone and since he is happy to be at school I think it is okay to say I'm happy to have him at school for a few hours a day.

*Yesterday I looked in the back seat and saw Clare and Alexey holding hands. OH, so cute! These are the moments to live for.

*Alexey is still the sweetest and cutest thing ever but boy is she a handful. Her favorite activities include standing on the kitchen table, standing on the dining room table and twirling the lamp, climbing on the fireplace and trying to run out of the house and up the driveway into the street (a good 30 yards). She is talking more and I think tonight she said, "go Michigan". It is somewhat disturbing. no, VERY VERY disturbing. She is a dog-a-holic. tressel and other dogs too.

*Clare will be doing a dance class and a music class (maybe) and a preschool swap this year. She has a late fall b-day (nov 21) and we are undecided about if she will be in Kindergarden next year or do a PEPP year (a special pre-K class for fall b-day kids who then do another year of K the following year at the school for free. I guess it is technically considered K). Dave thinks she should go to K young and I think she should do PEPP. what you think?

*home call is survivable

*we got 2 new laurels. so happy 'cuz we only had 2 before. now we've doubled our class size.

*I am coaching Calvin's soccer team and it is HARD. I am actually pretty good at soccer but this does not mean that I am good coach. No, coaching is about keeping 11 little boys busy and out of trouble...and I can't say that it is one of my talents. I am hoping I will improve over the course of the season but I'm not going to lie -- I can't wait 'til nov 21st - the last day of the season! I have a couple of assistant coaches and one of them is really helpful since he was a head coach last year and knows by experience what works and what doesn't.

5 comments:

Pete said...

Its better to be older in school. If she ends up doing sports she will want the one year edge. And it's cool to be 16 and driving when your a sophomore then 18 when your a senior.

Melissa said...

I am surprised she would make it into K next year. Our cutoff here is August 30th..

You sound like a busy woman. Glad Calvin is enjoying school, so much fun for you. Dylan and Sophie hold hands a lot in the car too and I love it.

Scott said...

Like Pete, I think it is better to be the oldest in the class rather than the youngest. If you start her next year, Clare might end up in college as a 17 yr old, be married at 18, and having babies of her own at 19. Do you really want to promote teen pregnancy? I think all the developmental advantages of that extra year (size, intellect, speech, maturity) are especially beneficial in the early years.

It sounds like Alexey misses Pete and Jessica.

Anonymous said...

We were going to put Grace is K last year (she is Nov. 22) so she would have turned 5 at the start of the year. Her preschool teacher changed our minds when she said, "she is probably ready and would probably do just fine. It might take her a little longer to get adjusted than other kids. But, if you wait a year she is going to do just even that much better and you will have set her up for that much more success." I am SOOOOO glad I waited. She has grown up so much and will just completely excel. We will have other issues, like her 3rd grade reading level, but I am so grateful that we didn't push it. And that means, I get her an extra year before she goes to college.

Wish we could have a playdate and catch up!

lisa h. said...

Evan is a year younger than some kids in his class. he does awesome and his teachers have said he is really bright and social. so it depends on your kid i think. Nov is a really late date though and if you did ever move, a lot of places have Aug as a cut off and then she would really be on the younger side. i think it's fine to be young, but everyone has their view.