I was asked to teach a one hour class on literature at an upcoming church activity. I am not an expert but I do instigate book club so it is easy for one to think I might be an expert. In either case, I am willing to do almost anything and I do love to teach so I'll give it a try.
So, I need your help. And will probably need your help again and again as I prepare!! Please tell me, what is your FAVORITE book? if it is not content clean don't mention it :)
Here are a few book quotes I've enjoyed recently.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. ~Mark Twain, attributed
"Instead of going to Paris to attend lectures, go to the public library, and you won’t come out for twenty years, if you really wish to learn." Leo Tolstoy
"I cannot live without books." Thomas Jefferson
The smallest bookstore still contains more ideas of worth than have been presented in the entire history of television. ~Andrew Ross
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. ~Charles de Secondat, Baron de la Brède et de Montesquieu, Pensées Diverses
6 comments:
Some of my favorite life changing books are A New Earth and A Heart Like His. I also recently loved A Gift from the Sea. Does the term literature only encompass fiction?
I would say my favorite classic was Jane Eyre but then again I don't remember much of the story line and haven't read it in years (I only like to read books once). Good luck with your class! I wouldn't even know where to begin with an hour on literature.
I just read The Alchemist...totally clean. I loved A Town Like Alice, also clean. of course Jane Eyre...A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (I think it's clean, but someone else might not). The Chosen, that was clean. mmm, hard to think of ones...
our ward started a literacy blog, maybe you can check it out:
http://blogforliteracy.blogspot.com/
The Harry Potter books, Jane Austen's Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice would go at the top of my list.
That O'Rourke quote is hilarious, and I might add, so true! :-)
All of Sheri Dew's books have been life changing for me. I agree with Tasha--A Heart Like His was another life-changer {also a great one for a book club}.
Some non-churchers that I've loved: Eat, Pray, Love was my favorite of the past several years, though there was some swearing at the beginning. If you can see past that, though, some of the ideas behind her spiritual journey were epiphanies for me. Never thought I'd recommend a Nicholas Sparks book, but The Wedding was a thought provoking book {and as you may imagine, a terribly easy read}. Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice may be my favorite books of all time.
I love "The Ordinary Princess" as a book to read to my girls. And "Madam, Will You Talk?" from Mary Stewart as a mystery novel (plus all the Rex Stout detective stories--so fun!). And all the Jane Austens, especially Lady Susan (she's delightfully wicked) and Northanger Abby (such a funny commentary on those novels of the Bronte sisters). Oooh, and the Polly Horvath books, especially "The Canning Season", but that's juvenile fiction, so maybe it's not what you are looking for?
I may be too late. Sorry I haven't stopped by for so long. My favorites are To Kill a Mockingbird, Pride and Prejudice and The Giver. I could (and have) read those over and over. Good luck!
Post a Comment