I have been thinking seriously about getting a dog for several months, talking to breeders, reading books, etc. Then I saw this dog on craigslist for cheap and jumped at the opportunity. These dogs (rhodesian ridgebacks) are hard to get. Most breeders sell the puppies "are spoken for" long before the litter is ready to leave mom. So, in a way it was an impulse buy
why am I having second thoughts.
#1. it is a DOG!! --do I really want a dog in my house?
#2. it will get BIG!! -- do I really want an 80-100 lb dog in my house?
#3. I need to train it! -- can I do a good job? If Calivn is any indication I am in big trouble.
#4. MONEY!! -- can I afford all the vet trips, dog toys, unexpected emergencies...? Would I rather have a dog than zoo passes, dance class for clare, etc?
Dave says I am retarded -- why wouldn't I think about this stuff before I buy a dog. I have been thinking about all of this! I guess the part of me that was undecided about dog ownership is coming out now that I have one. The fact that it is a puppy and a lot of work is hard but I am not really that worried about that. I am happy to work hard, provided the results will be good!
so far, things are going well. no accidents in the house. dog is friendly with the kids. esp. loves clare. calvin is AFRAID of the dog and runs around so the dog thinks it is another puppy and wants to chase and jump on him. I am trying so hard to calm down Calvin but he is driving me crazy. Since clare just lets the dog hang out it doesn't jump on her. I have been so impressed with clare --she is doing so well and follows my instructions as I tell her what to do if the dog jumps on her and after 2 days it won't jump on her.
more later. gotta go.
oh, dog names.. ..kids and dan named him bruce but dave says no way to that name.dave wants bronco (byu), tressel (ohio state), or Larry (USCD neurosurgery).
13 comments:
you HAVE to name it tressel- that is awesome!!!
i guess i would say keep him on leash when calvin is around to get him used to it and maybe calvin will feel safer knowing the dog can't chase him.
the dog is soooo cute!! maybe he won't get quite 80 lbs....milly is 65lbs and is pretty small though.
once you are through with the first yer vet bills won't be too bad. good luck!!
Wow! I am amazed that you did it! Welcome to the world of dogs! I am sure that you've already realized that it only means that now you have 4 children instead of 3! Can't wait to see him!
oh gosh! I love Tressel. What a cute dog!
Seriously, your dog is absolutely beautiful. Good luck with all the training. And here's one more vote for Tressel.
The image of Calvin running around so the dog thinks he's another puppy is just way too funny.
WOW! You are a braver woman than me. He is really cute and I actually like the name Bruce!
I want a dog to, but when it comes down to, I keep just thinking I'm not ready yet. It is a beautiful dog, I can see why you jumped on it! I have heard good things about Ridgebacks, so hopefully you will be happy with Tressel/Bronco/Larry!
The puppy is adorable - hope Calvin gets comfortable soon - so you guys can enjoy the little guy! Puppies are a lot of work in the beginning, aren't they?
I want to come see him!
Cute Dog! We dog-sat for Ben's parents while they were away, it was fun and the kids loved it but I decided that I'm not ready yet. Maybe when Tyler can have the responsibility :) Good luck with it all. Oh, and I enjoyed your post about the temple and haircuts.
You got a dog!!! I want to come see him - Sam would love it! Give it some time and I'll bet that an active dog will be just what Calvin needs to get some of that energy out in a constructive way :)
Lance is excited that you got a dog. He's offered to train it to be a good dog for you. Lance also thinks your description of Calvin's behavior around the dog is very funny, but has offered to teach Calvin how to not be afraid of the puppy. Lance also thinks that we need a dog. We'll be excited to come see you this summer.
Oh what a sweet puppy! I look forward to having a home big enough for a dog but all those other factors scare me too! Especially the training. when I was a kid we never trained the dog to do anything. It just existed. but it really seems to be important-especially with a big dog!
Good luck--I look forward to reading more about the "fun" you have coming your way!
Oh wow. You got a dog! That's like adding another child, right?! He's cute though, I must admit! I like the name Bruce, but Larry is a fun one too. :)
Wow! You got a dog. Good luck with that. He is super cute. Can't wait to find out the name.
Post a Comment