In Jan for our bookclub we met at a bookstore and spent about 20 minutes looking at books and picking out some that we wanted to read. Then we came together and choose books and hosts for the year. It was a fun activity and good way to get everything planned instead of taking time at each meeting to make sure the months ahead were in order.
Here's what we're reading this year:
Feb 12 - The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura Schlessinger
March 12 - - Dewey, The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron
April 9 -- Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
May 14 - The Road by Cormac Mccarthy
June 18 -Diving Justice by David Baldacci
** Young women are invited to the July and August meetings where we will be reading young adult books
July 9 - - Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
August 13 - - The Time Travelers (The Gideon Trilogy) by Linda Buckley-Archer
September 8 - - Bridge of Sighs by Richard Rucco or The Alchemist by by paulo coelho
October 13 - - March by Geraldine Brooks
I also read a couple of books recently. I have been a lousy reader lately (I spend all my time preparing lessons for YW and reading cook books and watching our new TV. quick side story -- my brother dan got a 42 inch tv for christmas and he keeps it in our living room. I have been completely addicted and will be cutting the cable to save money and time for all of us!)
Snowflower and the secret fan by Lisa See. a really good book. touching. I learned a lot about Chinese culture and stepped into another world of a couple hundred years ago. It really made me appreciate my life as a woman in America but also taught me to appreciate the comfort and joy in tradition and doing what is proper. It was highly recommended to me by several women in my ward.
Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. pretty good. I did this one audio and it was pretty good company while walking and cleaning but I didn't like the ending. I'd be curious to know what others thought of it. I don't know of anyone else who has read it but it is a top seller right now. The sequel is now out and if I run across it I will read it.
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne is one of my all time favorites. I think this was my 3rd time through and it was just as good as ever.
5 comments:
i want to read March and three cups of tea also. The Road is quite distrubing, so beware of that. i couldn't read it at night. sounds like a good list!
My mom went to hear Lisa See lecture a little while ago and loved it.
I totally need to read The Scarlett Letter again- it's one of my favorites also.
Thanks for sharing your list... I will be sure to add some of these to my "must read". Can't wait to hear some reviews!
Love goose girls. It is awesome. I haven't read any of the others since I am a childrens literature fan. I haven't been reading much lately either, but at least you have read some. The last book I read was in the summer. Ever since then I start books only to go weeks without reading and starting new ones -- this process just keeps going on over and over again.
I'll have to read The Knitting Club and the one by Lisa See. I've read the Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands- it was alright but my sisters loved it. The Scarlet letter is one of my favorites I even took an English class in college focused on The Scarlet Letter the entire semester.
Post a Comment