Friday, December 5, 2008

bloggers block

I don't have much to write about lately, and don't have time to do it either. Don't ask me where my time is going...but it is going somewhere. So, this might not be a very good post but it is a post!

On Sunday I will be doing a little 5 minute mini lesson during one of the Sunday school classes for the 12-14 year old girls. The topic is Change. How to handle change. And stay positive. I guess I am somewhat of a poster child for change (as many of us are during this time when we are going to school, moving, getting jobs, etc.) Here are some of the changes I've experienced in the last 10 years.... okay I'm older than I thought...we'll say 11 years.

- graduated high school
- mom diagnosed with cancer, had a surgery, started chemo
- moved away to school
- true loves first kiss :) (November 1997)
- made all new friends at college, new living situation, new food, new life!
- dave left on a mission - loss of boyfriend and best friend!
- moved again
- got a job
- moved home
- back to school in a new living situation (meaning roomates and place to live)
- another living situation at semester break, another job
- moved home
- mom died
- started new school, new job, new ward, new role as helper at home.
- dad got married
- new step mother and step sister
- back to BYU in yet another living situation, new job
- Dave home
- engaged then married
- started masters program
- changed thesis emphasis and lab for masters work
- got pregnant, got sick, got big, had a baby
- baby diagnosed with craniofacial defect
- move to ohio
- baby had surgery and one week hospital stay
- new job
- another pregnancy followed by an early end to the pregnancy
- another move
- another job
- another pregnancy
- another baby
- move to CA, new house, new ward, etc., new job for dave
- Calvin starts school
- pregnant again
- another baby
- Calvin starts another new school

That is enough of that. So, here are 3 practical points I thought of which help a person stay happy and well adjusted through change. I haven't been perfect in these things but I think that the times when I've done them, my changes have been better. I try to help my kids do this as well but sometimes I'm slow at getting started. I just had a new school friend over to play for Calvin this week and we've been in school since August! Better late than never!

get involved -- join a club, talk to people, meet the neighbors, volunteer, have a playdate, set up a carpool.
give service -- call someone and offer to babysit, cook, help in some way
gain talents -- take lessons, play a sport, develop your creativity through music or crafts, or home making or cooking.

All of these things make you feel better about yourself, help you make and keep friends, spend time with people in need or people who can teach you great things, and direct your time toward worthwhile activities.

In the lesson I'd focus more on the 3 G's and not my life changes, but I am running out of time today!!!


If there's one thing that's constant, it's change.

3 comments:

Emilee said...

So true! I have always admired your positive and energetic outlook. Thanks for the tips.

Renae said...

We had this lesson in young womens a few weeks ago (I'm sure you did too), but I was thinking about it, and so often we worry excessively about change or think that whatever changes are going to happen will make life good and happy (i.e. a graduation, etc.). As I was rereading President Monson's conference talk I realized that making the most of today will help us prepare for the changes of tomorrow. I think you've hit it right on the head about how to make the most of today. I'll have to put on my wall the three gs. Thanks for the post. :)

Krystal Trapnell said...

I enjoyed reading that. Love the tips! Thanks for your sweet email. I appreciated it.