Friday, December 14, 2007

California Cold

It is starting to turn into winter. You may think that because we live in SD we do not get winter. Well, we don't get snow and below freezing temperatures (most of the time) but we do get a change in temperature. Right now, at 6am, it is 33 degrees outside. That is a pretty typical night time low for this time of year (mid 30's and low 40's). During the day it warms up to a lovely 60-70 and sunny day. We do not turn on the heat at all so the inside of our house gets pretty cold at night. It would be too expensive and kind of pointless to run the heater because we have vaulted ceilings. Our house doesn't heat well. So, we use lots of blankets and sweatshirts! During the warmest part of the day we go outside and sit on the deck to get some sun and warmth because by afternoon it is 10 degrees warmer outside than inside our house! Recently, we've gone out in the evening to a couple of outdoor activities and I have had to unpack my winter coats and hats! I used to think it was ridiculous, when I lived in Ohio or Utah where it was actually cold and snowy, to see Californians wearing winter clothes! Now I understand and have even joined in!

I thought you might be interested in what it is like here because you may have been like me, thinking SD is always warm. I would say that SD is not always warm but it is always beautiful. And, SD is warmer than many other places (just not in our house)!!

Happy Friday! I hope you have a good weekend!

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Hearing about the sun makes me miss the warm weather! Send some our way!!

lisa h. said...

i'm glad you're getting some use out of those winter coats!!