This week our fridge broke. It started on Saturday when I got up and thought the milk was a little warm. Dave and Calvin had already eaten and thought it was fine so I ate too. As the day went on we noticed that the fridge never really turned on and cooled everything off. But, the freezer and ice maker were still running so I thought maybe I was just losing my mind. We moved what food we could into the freezer. Sunday it was working fine. Then Tuesday it truly died. We didn't hear a peep out of the fridge all day and the ice maker and freezer quit too. Most of the food was still cold so we were able to function, sort of. We waited 'til the end of the day to get the receipt and warranty info from my dad (the fridge is only 3 years old and should not die like this). Yesterday I called to make an appointment for a serviceman to come look at the fridge to see if it can be repaired under the warranty and the first available appointment is not for TWO WEEKS! That is ridiculous! How can someone function without a fridge for two weeks (with kids, especially)? So, we've been debating whether we should just wait or go buy a new one. If we buy a new one we may be jumping the gun because what if the fridge can be repaired under warranty for free? If we don't buy a fridge then what if we wait two weeks and the fridge would cost a lot to repair and isn't covered under warranty and then we have to order and wait for delivery of another fridge . . .. We did go fridge shopping last night so we do know exactly what we will get if/when necessary. And the warranty should be better than the one (from Sears) that we are working with now.
Last night I emptied the fridge and the freezer. I threw away two huge black trash bags of food. That was really a bummer. We had just been to COSTCO to stock up on a few things so I was not happy to lose $200 + worth of food. Some of the condiments I kept because I'm not sure if they are okay or not. What do you think about ketchup? Blueberry syrup? Lemon juice?
For now we borrowed a tiny dorm size fridge to help us get buy for the next little while. We can at least keep some milk and yogurt in the house for the kids to eat. So, for now we're just taking it one meal at a time!
Calvin woke up today a little before 4AM. I tried to make him go back to bed but I was too tired to be effective. I think he will be going back to bed soon (it is now 8am). We have a plan to get him re-adjusted to a normal sleep schedule starting tonight. Then he has a couple of weeks to get rested before school starts for him on the 10th of September.
On happier note, today the high is going to be in the low 80's so it is going to be a beautiful, perfect day.
4 comments:
So sorry about the fridge, that's awful! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is under warranty and that you won't have to lose even more money.
Enjoy your perfect weather, we are still scalding in the mid 90's with all the humidity you'd ever want.
That totally sucks! Having to throw away $200+ worth of groceries makes it so much worse. Sorry for the bad luck!
That's horrible!! Our fridge got unplugged once and we spent about 3 hours cooking all the meat that was soft in the freezer, but that's the worst that ever happened. I'd be mad about throwing so much food out too.
I just tagged you on my blog, but didn't link your blog. Check it out if you want to participate.
http://cellista.wordpress.com/2007/08/23/4-things-about-me/
Ugh. That stinks. I'm glad to see you posted again even if it's just bad news.
$200...I feel awful. Do you want to come over for dinner?
Post a Comment