When Calvin was born his face/head looked a little funny. After a very difficult delivery we just figured his skull was misshapen as can often happen during childbirth, especially if the baby spends a lot of time in the birth canal.
When we went in for our 2 week appointment, the head shape was still a concern to us. The pediatrician said we shouldn't worry. So we didn't. However, it was still somewhat of a concern that Calvin's head was asymmetrical and didn't seem to be correcting.
At our 2 month appointment we pressed the pediatrician to answer our question about why Calvin's head still looked funny. He asked Dave to take of his hat so that he could see if Dave's head looked funny too. (looking back this dr. was a moron, but at the time I didn't know that I should find a new dr. if I didn't like the one I had)! Since we insisted Dave's head was perfectly fine, the Dr. agreed to do an x-ray of Calvin's head. When we got word back we were told he had a sealed L coronal suture. Craniosynostosis.
A normal skull looks like this:

A skull with a fused coronal suture looks like this:

another description:

this image shows how the other bones, sutures compensate when the coronal suture fuses early

AFter our xray we had another scan done to get a better image of the skull and we also had an ultrasound to check and make sure the brain was healthy (it was).
We consulted with doctors to figure out what would be the best course of treatment. Most doctors like to do surgery on the craniosynostosis babies at around 6 months old. This was a precarious time for us because exactly 6 months after Calvin was born we would be moving from UT to OHIO so dave could start med school.
We hatched plan. . . Calvin would have surgery mid-august. Dave would be in SLC for the surgery and a couple of days post-op. I would stay a couple of extra weeks for recovery and then join dave in ohio. After we graduated BYU I moved to my grandparents house to wait for surgery and make my hands bleed, washing and purell-ing everything trying to keep Calvin healthy so he would be ready for elective surgery AUG 14th.
The day before surgery we were at the hospital doing the pre-op blood work when we got a call from somebody in the hospital. Our surgeons retina had detached and HE (THE Surgeon) was currently in surgery getting his eyes operated on. He would be out of the office for an indefinite amount of time -- at least a month. EARTH SHATTERING news for us. We were devastated.
We decided to go ahead to Ohio and find a new dr. there. We heard the guy at Columbus Childrens was not the best so we went up to The Cleveland Clinic on the recommendation of our SLC doctor who knew and loved the cranialfacial surgeon there. Dr. Papay. The Cleveland Clinic had great facilities and was about 2.5 hours away from us in Columbus.
Surgery for craniosynostosis is done by a team of surgeons. A craniofacial plastic surgeon and a neurosurgeon.
Calvin's surgery was scheduled for OCT 1st. just shy of his 8 month mark. I was extremely stressed about getting the surgery done at the right time but it seemed to be within the right window of time.
to be continued. . .
5 comments:
Cliffhanger...
Really??? "To be continued..." You can't do that to me. Well, you can but I am now anxiously awaiting more info so I guess I'll have to blog-stalk you until I see it! ;) I don't know the outcome but I do know that Calvin is certainly a handsome little guy now! BTW - the last post made Rob and I laugh out loud....again. lol.
Whoa....this seems soooo long ago. I remember bringing u dinner and i don't think we knew each other very well yet. I forgot he even had surgery in ohio.
It's good to hear the story. Can't wait to read the rest. Had to switch Kate's contact appt to the 12th. Let me know how Calvin's goes.
wow! I had no idea. I am off to read part two. Oh and I hate your first doctor.
Post a Comment