Thursday, March 24, 2011

MaRCh mADnEsS

We LOVE MARCH MADNESS around here! This is the funnest year we have EVER had with college basketball b/c we have our 3 favorite teams still in the running.

BYU
SDSU
and
OHIO STATE

We are loving it! Tonight BYU plays and also SDSU. We have a fun get together with some friends.

Speaking of TV. We have made some changes in our house about how we do TV. I keep the TV unplugged (and hide the power cord) so that kids can't watch TV at all. Today I let them have an hour since Lex is sick and grumpy, and of course we watch our sports but usually we go the full week w/o TV. It has been FABULOUS! The kids find so many more ways to entertain themselves and play together more and use their cute little imaginations so much more when they know they can't just switch on the tv when they are bored. yesterday in the car Clare said, "we only turn on the TV for sports with daddy, right mom?" Yes, Clare, that's about it! WE do love our sports.

There are two down sides to not having the TV crutch available at all times: 1. I have a hard time getting my shower in b/c you just never know what the kids will get into when they are unsupervised for 20-30 min. The TV was a great babysitter so that I could shower in the morning. Don't worry I still do manage to keep myself hygenic...it just takes some planning or me dragging myself out of bed before the kids. 2. no news. Not that I watched much news before, but now I really have no idea about what is going on in the world.

This was NO TV week at school and so it has been on my mind. It was no work at all for us to go the week w/o TV since we are already adjusted to this!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALEXEY TODAY. She is 3. B-day post to follow soon :)

3 comments:

Jessica Dahlquist said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEXEY! We love you, sweet curly-haired girl!

R said...

Yeah, we are the same with the TV. I find the same shower dilemma.
And yes, I used to be addicted to the news every morning but Eric and I have found that listening to NPR on the radio or checking Cnn.com or some other news website for 5 minutes gets us the news faster and more efficient than listening to a 1/2 hour broadcast.
Good luck! It is hard to go without TV and I know once I get to the end of this pregnancy and have a new baby we are turning it back on. But for now I like to minimize it.

lisa h. said...

I remember you always putting the tv in the closet in Ohio! ha! we go up and down w/ it....it's hard cause I have to password the computer, Joe's iTouch, lock the tv...they are crazy. oh and the wii...do you also not play wii a lot? it's nice when you need the babysitter, but it's good to limit it. I get most of my news on NPR or AM radio as well driving around town. or I get facebook updates from washington post etc.