Monday, January 11, 2010

sleeping arrangements

I got a new camera for Christmas and I don't really know how to use it. Dave downloaded all of our rose bowl pics for me so I was able to post those but other than that I haven't been doing much with it. So, pics to come later.

In other news, we have finally moved Alexey out of our closet and into Clare's room. It is a long story I'll share below, but having Lex FINALLY out of our closet has led to spring cleaning in my bedroom. We have been living in piles and messes since it is hard to really get clean when the baby is always asleep during cleaning time (nap and bed times). It feels good to get organized and de-junk, etc. IT also feels good that the weather is like spring. I know it is super rude to rub it in, but really it is a plug for CA. Today it was 77 and beautiful. Is it worth paying ridiculous prices for a home here? Don't know, I am still undecided, but days like today make me think maybe it is worth it!

Here is the story: Clare is CRAZY and IMPOSSIBLE when it comes to bed time. She is overall a good sleeper and knows how to get enough sleep, however she fights bed time. Then, there's night time. Somewhere along the line of her short life, Clare became terrified of the dark. She won't step outside in the dark -- insists on being carried if it is dark outside-- and sleeps with her lights on all the time. That has been the main reason we haven't put Alexey in her room. We've tried night lights and bribes and other things to get her lights off but nothing worked, and in the end I thought, "if the child sleeps with lights on who does it really hurt? as long as she SLEEPS!" then, Clare started waking up in the night and crying 'cuz she was scared and asking me to lay next to her. Sometimes I'd sleep with her for a while and then wake up and come back to bed. Sometimes I'd just talk to her and get her back to sleep. Sometimes she'd do this more than one time a night. I was racking my brain about how to calm her and thought that it would be great if someone could sleep with her. She likes to have people w/ her. Calvin is a crazy sleeper and I would never let another person share a room with him. Lex I didn't think would sleep with lights on. So, who? Then, inspiration strikes! TRESSEL! He is the family member that can sleep with lights on!! And, what are guard dogs for if not for sleeping with the children? Anyway, Clare LOVED the idea and was anxious for Tressel to share a room with her. She called it "our room" and was very happy. Tressel slept on the floor at first and then I found out he was actually moving to her bed at night. After a week or so I finally just accepted the fact that there would be no way for me to keep him off her bed so we have made a spot for him at the bottom of Clare's bed. Both are very happy about the arrangement. It gives Tressel a soft bed....quite a treat for him! And keeps Clare content. AFter a month or two of Tressel in Clare's room I asked her if she wanted to have Lex join them. She was very excited about his idea and even agreed to sleep w/ lights off for the baby. So, there you have it. Tressel cured Clare of being afraid of the dark and gives us all a better night of sleep and a cleaner room. I don't like that the girls wake each other up in the morning, but I am hoping once the novelty wears off one can get up and let the other sleep in. Maybe it is just wishful thinking.<
Here is Tressel in Clare's bed.

He takes up a lot of space and I worry about what will happen as Clare grows and needs to stretch out a little more. Dave says not to worry since there are grown people who sleep with big dogs and it will all work out. I guess it always does. (Clare uses a sleeping bag in the winter to keep warm. Even though we are in Sunny SD it is freezing at night(in the 30's and 40's) and we can't afford to heat our house.)

Here is a pic of Lex putting dirt on tressel. a href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhirE1BG_rbLHeD1Enlf6PI-3QumDgh_Rk_hnW5EKNg2CobPDwx8Cg2-VxTy8JkAmNApLqhY5aHdgRrYrqrvebdXr_yVe_PRjj9194lEGOiJgIwGXF3K1Is7QxOkKOWa_MBvtES4bq9avnD/s1600-h/032.JPG">


Dave spent his vacation sleeping w/ Calvin to try and get more of an idea of what he does all night and why he is so tired. Well, turns out Calvin is awake for 1-2 hours during the night (or every night dave was there). To Calvin's credit, he is very quiet and I never hear him. He is a good boy. BUT THAT IS TERRIBLE! Some nights Dave would go to bed late and then get only 3-4 hours sleep since Calvin was awake for 1-2 hours in the wee morning hours and then up at 4 or 5 for the day. Anyway, Calvin is a work in progress still. The first night Dave slept w/ Calvin, Calvin didn't know dave was in there. When Calvin woke up at 1:30am and started talking to himself. Dave said it was pretty funny, Calvin was making himself laugh really hard. He'd say "butt" and then laugh and then say "poo poo" and then laugh. It gives us a little insight into the sense of humor of an almost 7 year old boy!

5 comments:

Joseph & Tracy Larsen said...

I can't believe what a good dog that Tressel is! I am glad that he's been a big help for you guys!

Scott said...

Poor Calvin. Let me know when you begin chemical warfare on his sleep cycle: things like melatonin. That might help, right?

Will you guys train a dog for me?

lisa h. said...

that is hilarious about Calvin saying butt etc and laughing!

yes, Milly also sleeps with Calder. though it doesn't really work to get her to bed anymore, but she definitely expects Milly to sleep w/ her. Calder's bed is full of dog fur, but whatever, like you said, it works. We joke that Calder will go to college and get married and need a dog to sleep with!

Johnson Fam said...

Way to go on both getting Clare to sleep and in getting the girls in the room together. I dread the day of putting Meg and Hailey together and it's getting closer and closer. I just need to do it and get it over with but Meg still naps and I really don't want everything messed up yet.

vanessa said...

You make me want to get a dog! But I can't seem to make that leap, maybe someday in the future :)