Saturday, January 23, 2010

goal setting for the year and decade

I realized the other day that as much as I share personal things on the blog it is often funny and quirky instead of serious. Such is my life. I like the blog to be happy. Even though my life isn't perfect and I hope nobody feels like I'm trying to put myself forward as perfect I do like to record mostly good things on the blog so that when I go to the computer and look at it I feel good. One day a few weeks ago I took some pictures of all the hideous things in my house (dave's side of the bed, Calvin's wall art, etc., etc.) with the intention of posting it so you could see the not-so-picture-perfect side of my life. But I never wanted to spend the 30 mins or whatever it takes to put it up on the blog 'cuz it'd just make me grouchy to do so.

Anyway, that isn't really about my goal setting post but it did cross my mind one day this week and I guess it is a good segue way into a pretty serious and personal post.

Last year I decided to copy Laurie and set ONE attainable goal. I chose to have family home evening. Every Monday. No matter what. No matter who is awake or home or whatever. Prior to that goal we were very irregular FHE people. For one thing, dave was hardly ever home mon night before the kids went to bed. Calvin often goes to bed by 6 on a week night so it was hard to even manage it between dinner and bed time. Anyway, I chose this as my goal for 2 reasons. 1. It was a once a week goal and therefore could be easy and I could be perfect in it. (daily goals are difficult to be perfect). 2. I think it is important and wanted it to be a part of my family life.

How did I do? I did great. We only missed a couple of times due to illness. I will also admit that we are sort of slackers in the summer when every other Monday we do a beach FHE with friends. I think FHE in the home is important for the lesson and singing time components. I LOVE our Beach FHE's but need to figure out how to still have the home time as well.

How did we make it work? First, I had to make it a priority to plan something for FHE. This became an important part of my Monday. Second, we completely gave up on waiting for Dave and had our FHE between 4-6 on Monday afternoon. (sometimes before dinner, sometimes after dinner). Most often we would have an early dinner and then go right into FHE around 5.

I have been thinking a lot about what I want to do for this year. I am very happy to have FHE as part of our life now but I do think setting a once a week goal is a little weak. I was very inspired by Dave's talk in Sacrament meeting a few weeks ago where he said that one mistake we often make is underestimating ourselves. We have unlimited potential! I have been thinking about the kind of woman/mother I want to be and want to keep that picture of myself in my mind and work towards that. I think that instead of setting goals I will focus on who I want to be. I work in Young Womens and the general YW presidency issued a goal for all the YW to pray daily, read at least 5 min in the book of mormon and smile. This is something simple yet if incorporated it will make life sweeter. I will do it.

Also, this year I will be working a lot with Calvin. He is almost 7 and though he is super smart and doing well overall, he needs some extra attention. The issue of patching (strengthening his bad eye) has become critical. The literature says that once we reach age 8 our brain is finished developing and that would mean that any vision we have not restored by next year will be lost forever. (the dr says he might have up to age 10 to strengthen his eye) As it stands now he doesn't have 3D vision or depth perception. I would be devastated if he lost these permanently. (plus what if he grows up and hates me for not fixing his eyes for him?) Calvin is DETERMINED not to wear his patch and over the last 4 years since he started wearing the patch we have fought for hundreds of hours over the issue. I have been born again as you might say and I am determined to be sweet yet strong and help him to get the most he can out of his eyes. I am not a patient person. I am not very sweet either. But I have found for the last few days that as I wake up in the morning and think "I am going to be patient and wonderful today" that I am able to do that a little better than before.

We are also trying to help Calvin sleep better ....

And about a year from now Calvin will be getting baptized, so I want to be sure that I am preparing him for that as well.

Anyway, all of my goals center around being a better me. The spiritual goals tie right in with the above since prayers, scripture reading, being in tune with the spirit are all vital to my success as a parent and in becoming who I want to be.

It is possible that I will fail at times but it is better to set lofty goals and fail sometimes than to hold ourselves back because of the fear of failure.

It is a big year in 2010 to set goals for the year and for the decade. I'd say my year goals center around Calvin/parenting for this year. It is most important right now. My decade goals are still in the making. One of them is for sure to hit 40 the right way and not be old, out of shape and fat.

to be continued....food and fitness goals for next post.

PS. pics coming soon too.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Enjoyed your post (then again, I enjoy ALL of your posts). We too had FHE as our goal this past year and yes, it's been a GREAT one! I wish you the best of luck with the patch. You'll do awesome! When Riggs had to wear his "helmet" for several months (I know, I should shut up now because several months is NOTHING like 4 years) but I had the EXACT same thought as you - I knew I had to do everything in my power to at least TRY to make it better. I didn't want to look back and say we didn't give it our best shot. I admire your determination of 4 years. It will so be worth it. I apologize for being so wordy but some of your thoughts reminded me of our family. Good luck and Happy 2010!!! :)

R said...

Good for you!
Yeah, that patching thing I am sorry about. But I found that Bella fought more every time I had to restart her (like if we missed a day or something). But if I just kept at it and it became part of her routine then she knew she wasn't getting out of it (like brushing her teeth or wiping).
Of course, she is 3, not 7. And I'm not smart enough for a 7 year old. Phew! You'll need some good "strategerie."--that one's for you Lisa. ;)
Good luck!

Melissa said...

Those seem like great goals. I haven't even set any for 2010 yet. I think my focus is on how to handle 3 kids... ha ha

Anonymous said...

Great post, Denise. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Good luck with the patching. I know you can do it and it does seem like one of those short term, really hard things that are worth your full effort.

lisa h. said...

oh wow, you're making me want to do some more lofty goal setting. we do pretty well w/ fhe and often times do it w/o Joe, which seems to work fine. Sometimes FHE is just playing uno together! good luck working w/ calvin, I know that is so hard and it's hard to be patient w/ kids everyday. I can't believe he'll be turning 8 in almost a year...I haven't even thought about Evan getting baptized yet, crazy. you are such a good mom and you are definitely a sweet person!

lisa h. said...

haha Racheal! i had to look that word up on urban dictionary. nice!

vanessa said...

Great goals! Keep at with Calvin, he will thank you for it later. When I was young my mom had to make me do therapy for my right hand so I would be able to use it now. (long story) My parents did everything they could think of to get me to use my arm and hand. Thankfully, most of their efforts paid off. Most people don't know about my "disability" and I would say my gross motor skills are pretty good and my fine motor skills are okay. Anyway, have you considered putting a cool sticker on the patch? Or can you make it a different color somehow?

Laurie said...

So great, Denise! So great. You've made me think about whether I'm selling myself short expectation-wise. I think you're right that it's better to attempt things and set your goals high rather than low--you achieve so much more. I'm going to think about all this for a while.