I think that most of the readers of my blog are out of CA. So, I wanted to fill you in on a large part of my life and the life of many other people in CA.
Prop 8.
Proposition 8 in California is perhaps the most important item on the ballot this year, any ballot. And, even though it might not be on your ballot it will affect you no matter where you are. In my mind, it is much more important than the presidential election and when I stay up on Nov 4th watching TV it will primarily be to see the outcome of this prop.
Prop 8 is a CA constitutional amendment which would state: "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."
Here is a brief history: A law was passed in 2002 by 61% of voters in CA stating "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or legal in Ca". In May of this year 4 activist judges overturned this vote saying it is unconstitutional. Now it is back on the ballot as a constitutional amendment.
If Prop 8 fails there are three main issues that take the consequences of this vote outside of the state of CA.
#1. school. If Prop 8 fails, and marriage is no longer defined as between one man and one woman, all pictures in text books or sentences which describe marriage in the traditional way could/would need to be removed. I would imagine that there would not be separate text books for CA but that text book companies around the country would be forced to change. Perhaps this would affect you. Here in CA, because it is already required under the education code that children be taught about marriage in school, children will be taught about gay marriage at a young age. In MA where gay marriage is legal there are stories of children being taught about prince +prince in K-2 grade. In SF recently, a class of 1st graders were taken on a field trip to witness the marriage of a gay couple (one of their teachers). Experience (cases in court) has shown that parental consent is NOT required to teach about marriage in school and parents have no legal right to object the teaching of gay marriage in school.
#2. media/Hollywood. We have already seen over the years, Hollywood has embraced the homosexual lifestyle. Since Hollywood is in CA I can only imagine that If prop 8 fails there will be a flood of media glorifying the homosexual lifestyle.
#3. churches. If marriage is redefined in CA, churches that are worldwide will certainly be affected. Churches will no longer be allowed to teach traditional marriage or it would be considered a hate crime. Churches who refuse to perform homosexual marriages could lose tax exempt status and bishops/priests could be sued or even thrown in jail. These serious consequences will be felt around the country.
It is a heated debate. Those who are No for 8 claim that prop 8 is discriminatory and say, "don't take marriage away from us." They feel deeply offended that other citizens would want to take away their right to be married. HOWEVER, (beware, I am not politically correct and will use religion and biology) what these homosexual couples have IS NOT MARRIAGE. Domestic partnerships already have many of the same privileges as married couples such as visits in the hospital, medical benefits, life insurance, etc. so it is not necessary for them to be called "married" to enjoy privileges. Redefining marriage adds nothing to them, it only takes away from the special-ness and sanctity or traditional marriage. And, weakens society in doing so.
As a supporter of Prop 8, I do believe in being tolerant and accepting all people and being kind to others. I do not condone the homosexual lifestyle. I happen to believe it is wrong. That being said, I would not pass up the opportunity to be friends with, interact with, talk to, or be nice to a homosexual person any more that I would a heterosexual person. HOWEVER, I believe it is my right to teach my own children what marriage is and what moral living is. I also believe I have the right to freely practice religion including learning what things God has taught are not good.
There are other countries which have already opened up the definition of marriage to include homosexual couples and these countries have seen a decline of all types of marriages. Once you defame the real marriage, there is a decrease in the formation of families.
The thing that scares me is the intolerance of the no on 8 supporters. Yes on 8 signs are being stolen and destroyed at an alarming rate. one yes on 8 supporter was beat up while distributing signs. One of my friends at school says she is constantly stopped and people say really rude stuff to her because she has a yes on 8 sticker on her car (i do too but it hasn't happened to me). how can a group claiming to want equality and tolerance for all be so unaccepting and so angry to those who wish to express their view just because it is different than their own?
I could go on and on, but won't. If you are in CA be sure to vote Yes on 8. If you are outside CA, pray that prop 8 passes.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, to which I belong, seldom becomes involved in political issues but because of the nature of this proposition and consequences which affect the church directly, the church has become very involved in this issue. Other churches are also involved. Church members have been working diligently to help prop 8 pass, as have many other good people.
http://www.protectmarriage.com/
The latest polls say that Yes on 8 is ahead. At this point it is important to get all of the yes supporters out to vote. So, GO VOTE, and VOTE YES.
6 comments:
Hey Denise,
Thanks for this post. You made such fantastic points and I totally love that you're not trying to be all P.C and everything. I think we, as a society, have gotten so consumed with perfect equality and not, ever, wanting to offend that we're missing the beauty of diversity and uniqueness that make us individuals. Men and women ARE different. One can't say "I want a pb&j sandwich..but you know what? I don't like jelly- so just give me 2 peanut butter slices...but you still have to call it a pb&j". It doesn't work like that.
There have been many moments that I felt a powerful confirmation that we moved back here because I needed to be here- for this cause. Whether or not prop 8 passes, I am a different person from my experiences. I have a stronger testimony of revelation, of truths I'm responsible for teaching to my children, and a gratefulness for the incredible people (of all faiths, political parties, and races) in my community.
I've had sleepless nights, major anxiety and the feeling that I just don't know if I can handle the opposition's tactics or degrading comments I've received. But we have to press forward or they'll win.
You know I'll be up watching the outcome too!
hey em, thanks for the comment. it has really been an amazing race (not over yet, I know)! so much different from the one in ohio 4 years ago. It really is a chance to reflect on what is special and important in life and, like you, it has made me feel the need to teach my children at home the things that I want them to know b/c they sure aren't going to hear it at school or anywhere else.
Funny note about PB&J's. Calvin often used to ask "mom, I want a peanut butter and jelly sandwitch. no peanut butter, just jam"
Well said, Denise. I totally agree with you on every point! We are "Yes on Prop. 8" all the way, too!
Such a scary thing that public schools could teach young children things that are morally and religiously wrong to their parents. Yikes!
Sheri & Glen
it better pass, i would be a horrible home schooler.
i will pray for it.
I hope it passes! That is a big issue for sure and if the Church see's fit to get involved on this, it is extremely important.
Scary. It is interesting that so many who preach tolerance are so often intolerant themselves. Here in South Bend (Catholic-central), there is a lot of interest in the status of Prop 8 out in California. We'd vote with you, if we could.
Post a Comment