Tuesday, October 21, 2008

i guess they work -- updated, see bottom of post


Do you know what this is? It is a red light camera. red light cameras take pictures of people who run red lights. Many of the intersections with cameras nearby have yellow markings around the traffic light so that you're reminded not to run the red light. There are a couple of intersections in town that we all KNOW you do not run red lights there!! Anyway, a member of our household (named Dave) ran a red light OCT 9th. Then on OCT 17th we got a ticket in the mail with 4 lovely, in color pictures, including 2 of his car, one of his face, and one of his licence plate. Very sad, very sad indeed. What will dave be getting for christmas? A trip to court and traffic school (or a paid fine) not sure yet. Reading online I learned that you can buy photo blocker spray. IF you Spray your license plates with PhotoBlocker Spray your plate will reflect the light from the flash back to the plate and the picture will NOT show your plate clearly. Maybe dave will get that for christmas instead.

one funny thing about those pictures. when the light turned red dave is pictured stopped at the light. Then 2 seconds later he is in the intersection -- light still red. Apparently he decided he didn't have time to wait, or forgot it was red and went, or something....not too sure. :)

The time of the ticket was 10:15pm. Dave was on his way home from work (for those in town, on the corner of ted williams and pomerado turning left). He was actually talking to me on the phone, using his hands-free head set, of course, and he said, "Oh, Denise, I just ran a red light and saw all the cameras flashing. I hope I don't get a ticket."

9 comments:

Em said...

Yikes. That's no fun. Here's a thought: we have a red light camera by our place and the intersection doesn't have a protected left turn...so usually one gets stuck trying to turn left, hanging out in the intersection or the 2nd car behind that one half-way in the intersection. Does the camera take your picture running that sort of red?

sheri Lieber said...

Dave, Dave, Dave! Sounds like your Christmas "gift" is all planned out. Thanks for the chuckle - we've all had those unfortunate experiences with tickets, though I've never had my photograph taken, like you! I'd love to see the pics! We just love you guys!

I am Laura said...

kindof scary. Sucks for you to have to pay for that though.

Melissa said...

I guess Dave was treating it as a 4-way stop. he he

Krystal Trapnell said...

Good to know. That's interesting about the spray, too, I'm curious now whether or not it works...

Scott said...

Dave should contest the ticket. I'm sure he was on the way to the hospital to save a life. Either that he was post-call and comatose. Pretty soon these cameras will be everywhere to fine you for speeding. These aren't safety devices, they're for generating revenue.

Jessica said...

oh my... so funny!!
This makes me feel a little bit better about us running a Toll road in Chicago.
The spray is a great idea :-)

lisa h. said...

i love the (named dave) part....oh man that really stinks! sorry! poor dave...was he rushing to work, or hurrying home to see you!

Kids,Cookies and more of the same said...

Sorry-I am sooo laughing right now! I can't believe it's legal to sell that spray!!