Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Favorite Picture Books

Of of my friends recently posted about her favorite read-alouds and I really enjoyed getting a few new ideas about what to look for for the kids. As I was sorting through books today I thought I'd write down a few of our kids' favorites -- at least ones that we own.

Dr. Seuss! Love them all.  Be sure to check out In a People House published with Theo LeSeig as author

PD Eastman-  Are you My Mother?, Alphabet book, and Big Dog, Little Dog

Berenstain Bears - The Bears' Christmas, The Bear Scouts

Freight Train by Donald Crews. Great for early readers who can memorize quickly.

Everything by Doreen Cronin - Giggle, Giggle, Quack and that series. Also Diary of a Fly, Diary of a Spider, Diary of a Worm.  Huge favorites!

Laura Numeroff - If You give a mouse a cookie, **What mommies do best/What daddies do best

Elmer. Love the original. The many sequels are not as good.

My kids love the froggie books.

Gyo Fujikawas A to Z picture book

Duck Soup by Jackie Urbanovic

Imogene's Antlers by David Small

The Bag I'm Taking to Grandma's by Shirley Nietzel

Good Night, Gorilla by Petty Rathmann

What are your favorites?


1 comment:

Melissa said...

you know what I usually do, I will go to barnes and noble (my fav store) and browse the kids selection. They usually have a wall of the newest or bestsellers and I take pictures with my iPhone and then come home and request them at the library. It gives me good ideas and we can still check out the newest and best ones that way!

Our favorites for Natalie (Jo would love!) are any books by this author that does the no no yes yes books. We have loved them and have quite the collection now. http://www.amazon.com/Yes-Leslie-Patricelli-board-books/dp/0763632449