Saturday, August 27, 2011

goal setting

Yesterday I finished my 2009 photo/blog books for the family. I make one for myself (basically the blog) and then one for each kid. The kid books have been edited a bit so they don't have silly blog posts and I add extra pictures of that particular kid.

Now I'm working on 2010. Amazing how far behind pregnancy can make a person in getting stuff like this done. I am much more functional with a newborn than as a pregnant person.

I noticed that for 2009 i had made a goal to have FHE every day. For that year I decided to have just one goal. I think it was a good idea. It was a great goal. It was something very attainable and also habit forming. It has been part of our lives ever since then which is fabulous.

It also got me to thinking that as we strive for perfection it seems a long way from where we are. Sometimes it seems so far away it is discouraging. However, if we make goals one by one we keep ourselves moving in the right direction. Also, goal setting helps us feel success and inspires us to keep moving forward. And, if we keep moving step by step we will get to where we want to be after years of hard work.


I recently sent a goal for this school year to have family dinner at least 5 nights a week (sun-thurs. ...weekends are allowed more flexibility). I want my kids to eat well, have good food in front of them, practice good table manners, have family time together, and enjoy the comfort of a good routine.

3 comments:

Natasha said...

One of my goals for the next little bit it to get my 2009 and 2010 blog books done too.

Joseph & Tracy Larsen said...

I haven't told you this yet, but I love the quotes on your side bar. I have already copied and pasted them onto my computer. Funny, but I also just ordered my blurb book for 2009. Looks like I am a bit behind, too. :) Is your husband as excited for this weekend as mine?

Jessica Dahlquist said...

Love it. Doesn't completing blog books make you feel so good? You're a good goal setter and it really makes me re-examine my own. Thanks!