I realized ... after 8 years of diapers we are 100% diaper free right now and have been for a few months. It hasn't been long enough that I have forgotten what's it like to change diapers. However, I don't think I've had a diaper bag for a couple of years so that will take some getting used to.
We took Calvin off of the sleeping aid melatonin--life is INSANE. I really do not understand why he doesn't sleep all night. One night, when I was desperate for some sleep I did wake him at 9 and give him a pill. He slept 'til 6:30...when he woke up he said, "Mom, I slept all the way through the night. I haven't done that in my whole life." He also took a morning nap that day...guess he was catching up on lost sleep. The melatonin works wonders but tends to lose it's efficacy after a couple of months. Then we cycle off of it for a week or two before going back on again so it will work well. I am temped to stay off it for a while this time so that when baby time comes I can stick him on those pills and have some great sleep from him for a while.
Next week Dave is off and we are doing a san diego stay-cation. Dave still has classes on Tues/Thursday so we can't leave town or do anything major. I hope it is fun for the kids and different enough from normal life for them that they will have some good memories. We're trying to plan some things that we wouldn't normally do so that it will stand out in the kids' minds as a real vacation even though we aren't going anywhere. A friend recently posted on her blog about an article she had read about what to do with income tax returns. The author recommended that the $ be spent on trips/activities rather than stuff. As adults most of us don't remember what we wore, what tv we had, etc. but we do remember the things we did as a family and the fun or crazy memories we have that bond us together. I agree. So, even though it doesn't sound like much fun we are going camping (just for one night). As dave puts it, the more miserable it is, the more memorable it will be! He thinks camping with 3 little kids and one pregnant wife is not a good idea. :) We will also go to our favorite science museum, I'm sure we'll hit the beach too! It should be a nice week. The weather is nice, but not too hot yet!
Clare has been loving the Ivy and Bean books lately. I highly recommend them! We are also reading all of the Mercy Watson books.
4 comments:
Wow, Denise, you're a trooper. I would clobber Jesse if he even suggested I go camping. It should be a fun experience, though. Ian still talks about the last few camping trips we went on last summer.
Haley
Have a great week with Dave home. I love looking forward to those times Tim is off work which is very rare. Does Dave get paternity leave? Tim never did and had to use vacation for those.
Don't forget that you're coming to my house! :)
Have a fun staycation!
Just a thought: My mom has had trouble sleeping for years and melatonin didn't really work for her because she didn't have trouble getting to sleep she had trouble staying asleep (or going BACK to sleep). She got dual-release(?) melatonin and it made a huge difference because it gives you another hit of it right in the middle of the night. It sounded like Calvin may have a similar issue since he's waking up so early? Could be something to try, anyway!
Post a Comment