One of the good things that I have gleaned from all of the homeschooling/how do children learn type books that I have been reading is how to enchance the reading experience. I have run across some suggestions on the types of books one should get at the library each visit. Usually I just pick a few stories, and let my kids pick a few and we call it good. The Well Trained Mind recommended making each child choose at least one from the following and then choosing as many more as they'd like. My kids are a little young for figuring this all out, so I've been trying to pick some of each category and getting them acquainted w/ the book types and then I will teach them how to find them on their own as they get old enough. Calvin is pretty much there, but just needs to be taught!
here are the book types recommended in The Well Trained Mind, pick one of each for each child/reading level:
science
history
art or music appreciation
practical (hobby or "how-to")
biography or autobiography
classic novel or one suited to appropriate age
imaginative storybook
poetry
I could have sworn that fairytale or fable was on this list, but it must have been in another book! My kids have loved fairytales. Our library has a section for fairy tales. Oh, now that I think about it, it must have been The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease that was recommending this genre! Anyway....
I was reading a fairy tale a few nights ago and told them that it was a fairytale and explaining that fairy tales are make believe stories sometimes with magic and other parts that are not real. Calvin said "fiction." Yes! Then he said something about Star Wars. I explained that Star Wars is not a fairytale it is ....and he filled in with "Non-fiction." I explained that star wars is actually science fiction and not real either, but Calvin insisted: STAR WARS IS REAL. I decided not to crush his childhood fantasies just yet so I left it alone. Talking to dave later he says he distinctly remembers when he realized Star Wars was not real and it was 3rd grade. What would it be like to think that we could travel at light speed, and that darth vader is REAL?!
2 comments:
that is so funny! James is obsessed with star wars. It is frightening to think that he might believe that there is truly a darth vadar somewhere out there!
I'm impressed that you read all those different books with your kids. I only let my kids each pick 5 books from each library trip because I am singlehandedly financing the library system with my fines from forgotten books. :) Plus, if I have to read one more children's science book (Liv's favorites) I may poke my own eyes out with sticks.
Post a Comment