Many of you will understand this.....you may be married to a dr. also or some other kind of hard working man!
So about two weeks ago dave said, "I didn't formally request any days off during the holidays because I have some great surgeries scheduled on T/W (21/22) and T/W (28/29) but other than that I will have a lot of days off."
So, fast forward to last night (Sunday) when I said, "so are you going to be around tomorrow (Mon the 20th)." Dave looked at me like I was from another planet and replied, "I have to work."
Realizing he had sort of told me he would be home he said, "Don't worry, in the next two weeks I'll have AT LEAST 7 days off......well, maybe 6."
Denise: "You do realize those days only count if your pager is off and we don't have to drive two cars every where?"
Dave: "Okay, at least 5 days then."
I am grateful that he is not the guy covering Christmas so there is a good chance he'll be home that day. Thank you to the intern who is in house on call and the one Jewish guy in the program who graciously offered to be backup!
I am also glad Dave likes his job. I know he feels bad to miss family stuff but he really loves to operate.
Also, the holidays are fun even when dave is working b/c we have family that comes to town which is a special treat for us.
5 comments:
I applaud Dave for his willingness to be out saving lives, helping the infirm, and otherwise healing the afflicted. It is very Christlike, especially since they barely pay him.
@Denise: you should try to remember what the Christmas season is about, and stop being such a Scrooge. Alternatively, Lance & I will be there on Friday and we can hang out.
I too have a HARD time when my time expectations are not met. You are doing a great job! I do not believe I would last being married to a DR.
you are definitely a very very nice wife! joe has 24 hr shifts starting tomorrow for like 5 days? so not quite as bad and he'll get home about 7:30am Christmas morn and then promptly pass out for the rest of the day I'm sure. it's tough. haha, when Joe spends too many hrs at home w/ too many loud children, I think he makes up call nights he has to leave for!
Tim is on call the friday/sunday of Christmas weekend and has to round on Christmas morning too.
I am always bothered when Tim tells me one thing and it turns out to be another. Like, I will be home at such and such a time and it is hours later. I get sick of that.
Scott was at the hospital on Christmas Eve but he managed to stay awake for most of Christmas day. Intern year is tough. In fact, when you said Dave had 5 days off, I got jealous! Hehe. But I do think it'll be better next year, and even better after residency.
Post a Comment