Today is Mom's b-day. She would be 51. That really doesn't seem that old, though as a teenager when my mom was in her 30's I thought she was ancient! Funny how things change. Today I am going to lunch --to stir fresh, jessica d's favorite --with a couple of Mom's (and my) friends who also have b-days this week. It is a nice treat. Life is so busy for everyone it is hard to plan these little get-togethers!
51 memories/things/characteristics about mom
1. Dark brown hair, almost black -- none of us kids have it
2. brown eyes -- ditto about the kids
3. youngest in her family
4. loved to cook
5. and eat
6. liked books on tape
7. while walking
8. good with money
9. loved babies
10. loved dave (she met him a few times our freshman year when we were dating and even sent him some socks while he was on his mission! She died about his 1/2 way point on his mission)
11. grew up in Utah
12. parents were divorced
13. went to church alone as a teenager
14. popular in high school
15. met my dad in high school on the speech and debate team
16. very talkative
17. practical
18. strong (physically and mentally)
19. allergic to cats
20. liked purple
21. learned to quilt
22. wrote a personal history
23. had a lot of callings in primary over the years
24. not afraid to get her hands dirty
25. had 4 kids
26. married 20 years
27. got bad morning sickness when pregnant
28. loved history
29. and politics
30. outspoken
31. came to all of my soccer games and other activities
32. liked to play games
33. good cook
34. went on a diet and lost 40 lbs in 1996
35. favorite book is mill on the floss by george eliot
36. according to mom : required reading before marriage = adam bede by george eliot and ethan frome by edith wharton
37. spelled her name CLARE with no i. her name was often misspelled.
38. opinionated
39. size 8 shoe
40. short hair
41. age when she died
42. of colon cancer
43. loved the beach
44. and the mountains
45. good sense of humor
46. great legs
47. favorite movie: overboard
48. liked dr. laura and rush
49. loved her friends
50. and family
51. and the gospel
9 comments:
What a wonderful tribute to your mom. She sounds like a very confident, generous, & intelligent woman. Happy Birthday to her and I hope your lunch date with the gals in fun.
What a neat list and great way to remember your mother. I didn't know the Clare was named after her which I love the spelling by the way!).
I didn't know Clare was named after your mom -- makes it sweeter to me. My cousin who had just turned fifty died last week and I thought wow that is just too young and it was his youngest is six, but your mom was much younger. I know you miss her lots.
but the real question is... did anyone ever call her "clare-bear"? Hope you had a wonderful time at stir fresh...Your mom would be so proud of you.
Thanks for sharing such wonderful memories. I am sure she would be very proud of you as a mother if she were here today.
i think you definitely share many traits with your mom. i love hearing about her, i think you must be a lot like her.
This is such a sweet post. I have not talked to you much about your mom, she sounds like she was a wonderful person. I am sure that she is so proud of you and the life that you have chosen.
That was really sweet. Thank you for sharing your Mom with us.
I loved your mom! Reading that list reminded me of what a fun / great lady she was. I still crave a salad she would make (w/ corn, avocado, black beans ? ? ?). Anyway, I was just thinking about her/you/and that salad last week! :).
Post a Comment