I'm so nervous about the fires that I need to write....so i'm writing ....It is 6am. Looking out my windows I see every house in the neighborhood has lights on as people are up packing and watching the news.
Here is a fire update. There are now 8 fires in SD county. There are 2 fires somewhat close to us buring towards each other and they are concerned that they'll merge. They have evacuated all of a neighboring city (ramona) and a pretty significant section of our town (poway), which probably includes 20 families or more in our ward. I have loaded up the car with food and clothes and a few items like pictures and documents. just in case we have to evacuate. Right now the evacuation line is a couple of miles from us. You never know what will happen -- the fire can keep moving this way or the winds can carry it off another direction.
Meanwhile, dave is at the hospital downtown. He called last night to tell me his keys had been stolen and so he will need a ride home. I honestly don't even know if I can make it to him with the road closures, plus the freeway going south (towards dave) is packed. I guess he might have to spend another night at the hospital. Their hospital is filled to capacity with burn victims and other fire-related injuries so who knows if he'll ever get off anyway. Most of these are not neurosurgical, but they may have a need for all availible hands to keep working.
What is the worst about all these fires is that the fire crews are basically helpless becuae of the fierce winds. The gusts range between 40-80 miles/hour (hurricane force winds) and the winds combined with the darkness make it so they can't use the airplanes or helicopters to fight the fires. Everyone is basically at the mercy of the wind. I keep thinking of that hymn - master, the tempest is raging where it says "the wind and the waves shall obey thy will . . .oh, hasten and take control"
It is supposed to be in the mid 90's today and tomorrow so the weather isn't helping much either.
The people say that there isn't really hope of containment today, they're just waiting to see what happens. The winds are supposed to continue to be strong today and will hopefully abate during the night tonight or tomorrow.
One of the fires is right next to the wild animal park...I wonder what it is like to try to evacuate all the animals (or if they even can).
This has all happened in less than 24 hours. When we went in to church yesterday at 11am it was a beautiful day and there were no fires burning.
8 comments:
Yikes! That is so scary. I hope they can get the fires contained soon and that you won't have to leave your home. We'll pray for you guys. Stay safe.
We'll be praying for you.
i'm glad you got your car packed and ready. if ye are prepared ye shall not fear - right! that is very scary though, i can imagine the highways will be slow going with so many people leaving. where will you go? i have a friend in LA, if that helps!
I was wondering if the fires were getting close to you. Thanks for the update. We're keeping you in our prayers and hope you are safe. Lots of love!
Cal fires are a scary thing. And what a crummy time for Dave's keys to get stolen. I really hope the house and especially you guys are safe.
We've had a few fire scares while living there. The closest was when the fire was one cul-de-sac up from ours...firefighters and other men were on our roof spraying everything down to prepare. They were able to contain it just before the homes got hit, thankfully.
Oh Denise! I've been thinking about you guys all day. We're praying for you and everyone in the region. I read on-line at the animal park they put the smaller animals in a fire proof vet building and the larger animals like oh, elephants, in irrigated areas. Crazy. If you need to go somewhere, come here!
Oh no!! I am so sad and scarred for you guys. Gosh, I wish I could help in some way. You must feel so vulnerable. I will pray for you guys. I am glad you have your car already packed. Stay as safe as you can.
I was watching the reports this morning and they mention Poway and I remembered that is where you were and then I saw on a map how close the evacuation lines are to your house. I have been worried about you all day. Thanks for the update! How hard, especially with Dave away! You are in our thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated!
Post a Comment